Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

China: Detained Canadian Does Not Have Diplomatic Immunity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2019 09:14 PM

    BEIJING — A former Canadian diplomat detained in China last month does not enjoy diplomatic immunity, a Chinese spokeswoman said Monday, rejecting a complaint from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the man's rights were being denied.


    Trudeau said last week that Chinese officials were not respecting the diplomatic immunity of Michael Kovrig.


    He was arrested along with Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor on vague national security allegations after a top Chinese executive with telecommunications network equipment giant Huawei was detained in Canada on Dec. 1 at the request of Washington.


    However, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters Monday that Kovrig is no longer a diplomat and entered China on an ordinary passport and business visa.


    "According to the Vienna Convention of Diplomatic Relations and international law, he is not entitled to diplomatic immunity," Hua said at a daily briefing.


    Kovrig, a Northeast Asia analyst for the International Crisis Group think-tank , took a leave of absence from the Canadian government.


    Washington wants Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou — the daughter of the company's founder — extradited to face charges that she misled banks about the company's business dealings in Iran. She is out on bail in Canada and awaiting a bail extradition proceeding next month.


    China's ambassador to Canada accused the country last week of "white supremacy" in calling for the release of the two Canadians, while describing the detentions as an "act of self-defence."


    However, Hua said the allegation that China arbitrarily detained Canadian citizens is "totally groundless."


    On Friday, Poland arrested a Huawei director and one of its own former cybersecurity experts and charged them with spying for China. That comes amid a U.S. campaign to exert pressure on its allies not to use Huawei, the world's biggest maker of telecommunications network equipment, over data security concerns.


    Poland's move has raised concerns over the safety of its nationals in China, although Hua appeared to brush off such worries, emphasizing China's desire for the "sound and steady" development of relations with Poland.


    "As long as the foreign citizens in China abide by Chinese laws and regulations, they are welcomed and their safety and freedom are guaranteed," Hua said.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    PICS: Surrey RCMP And Partners Recognized At Business Awards Gala

    PICS: Surrey RCMP And Partners Recognized At Business Awards Gala
    On October 4th, 2018, eight winners were celebrated at the Surrey Board of Trade’s 22nd Annual Surrey Police Officer of the Year Awards Dinner.

    PICS: Surrey RCMP And Partners Recognized At Business Awards Gala

    Marijuana Roll Out Will Be Challenging, New Territory For Everyone: John Horgan

    B.C. Premier John Horgan says the government will do its best to protect children and public safety while making sure demand is met when marijuana becomes legal later this month.

    Marijuana Roll Out Will Be Challenging, New Territory For Everyone: John Horgan

    Homicide Detectives Identify Woman Found Dead In Richmond As 19-Year-Old Aspen Pallot

    Homicide investigators on the Lower Mainland responded to their third case in less than 24 hours Thursday as they were called to a fatal shooting in B.C.'s Fraser Valley.

    Homicide Detectives Identify Woman Found Dead In Richmond As 19-Year-Old Aspen Pallot

    Body Of 19-Year-Old Woman Found In Richmond, B.C., Home, Man In Custody

    British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the body of a 19-year-old woman was found early Thursday in a home in Richmond, B.C.

    Body Of 19-Year-Old Woman Found In Richmond, B.C., Home, Man In Custody

    28-Yr-Old Man Accused Of Exposing Himself To More Than 60 Girls, Young Women Across Vancouver

    28-Yr-Old Man Accused Of Exposing Himself To More Than 60 Girls, Young Women Across Vancouver
      Kurjata is accused of committing an indecent act in public, exposing genitals to a minor. This map of indecent acts shows that allegedly took place in Vancouver between July 6 and 18, 2018 

    28-Yr-Old Man Accused Of Exposing Himself To More Than 60 Girls, Young Women Across Vancouver

    'Insensitive And Disrespectful:' Mass Killer Matthew de Grood's Review Angers Victim's Father

    'Insensitive And Disrespectful:' Mass Killer Matthew de Grood's Review Angers Victim's Father
    CALGARY — The father of one of five young people stabbed to death at a Calgary house party in 2014 says the mental health board overseeing the killer's treatment has been insensitive and disrespectful to the victims' families.

    'Insensitive And Disrespectful:' Mass Killer Matthew de Grood's Review Angers Victim's Father