Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Former Manitoba Premier Apologizes After Women Allege Ex-Minister Stan Struthers Tickled Them

    Former Manitoba Premier Apologizes After Women Allege Ex-Minister Stan Struthers Tickled Them
    Government workers say Stan Struthers, an NDP cabinet minister from 2003 to 2014, tickled them, groped them or made sexual remarks.

    Former Manitoba Premier Apologizes After Women Allege Ex-Minister Stan Struthers Tickled Them

    Jagmeet Singh: NDP Considering Pledge To Do Away With So-called Peremptory Challenges

    Jagmeet Singh: NDP Considering Pledge To Do Away With So-called Peremptory Challenges
    OTTAWA — NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he is considering whether his party should push to abolish the use of so-called peremptory challenges in the jury selection process.

    Jagmeet Singh: NDP Considering Pledge To Do Away With So-called Peremptory Challenges

    Former PM Kim Campbell Says Sleeveless Dresses 'Demeaning' For TV Broadcasters

    Former PM Kim Campbell Says Sleeveless Dresses 'Demeaning' For TV Broadcasters
    TORONTO — Kim Campbell is admonishing female news anchors who wear sleeveless dresses on the air, calling the bare-armed attire "demeaning."

    Former PM Kim Campbell Says Sleeveless Dresses 'Demeaning' For TV Broadcasters

    Man Who Pledged $7.5M Donation To Hockey Team Pleads Guilty In Unrelated Fraud

    Man Who Pledged $7.5M Donation To Hockey Team Pleads Guilty In Unrelated Fraud
    CRANBROOK, B.C. — A man who pledged $7.5 million to a British Columbia junior hockey team has pleaded guilty to an unrelated fraud charge in a Cranbrook, B.C., court.

    Man Who Pledged $7.5M Donation To Hockey Team Pleads Guilty In Unrelated Fraud

    Two Arrested Following Alleged Food Truck Robbery Attempt In Vancouver

    Two Arrested Following Alleged Food Truck Robbery Attempt In Vancouver
    Vancouver police were called around 1 a.m. Sunday for reports of someone using a grinding tool to try and break into the mobile eatery.

    Two Arrested Following Alleged Food Truck Robbery Attempt In Vancouver

    Surrey Break And Enter Leads To Arrest In Abbotsford

    Surrey Break And Enter Leads To Arrest In Abbotsford
    An Abbotsford man has been charged after a break-and-enter in Surrey led to a larger seizure of stolen goods, guns and drugs.

    Surrey Break And Enter Leads To Arrest In Abbotsford