Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage

    B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage
    VICTORIA — Teacher shortages across British Columbia have prompted the government to invest in training and recruitment programs.

    B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP
    Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he's "deeply disturbed" by allegations of inappropriate behaviour levied against longtime former New Democrat MP Peter Stoffer.

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP

    Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal

    Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal
    MONTREAL — A fundraiser to find a new home for a man who lost use of his legs in last year's Quebec City mosque shooting has reached its $400,000 goal.

    Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal

    A List Of High-profile Canadians Facing Allegations Of Inappropriate Behaviour

    A List Of High-profile Canadians Facing Allegations Of Inappropriate Behaviour
    A glance at some of the high-profile Canadians facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour in recent months:

    A List Of High-profile Canadians Facing Allegations Of Inappropriate Behaviour

    Fraudsters Bilk $5.1 Million From Torontonians In Landline Phone Scam: Police

    Toronto police are issuing a warning after a phone fraud scheme recently bilked five people in the city out of a combined $5.1 million, with investigators saying the scam appears to be targeting hundreds of people across the country.

    Fraudsters Bilk $5.1 Million From Torontonians In Landline Phone Scam: Police

    Vancouver Park Board Lacked Authority To Ban Whales, Dolphins At Aquarium: Court

    Vancouver Park Board Lacked Authority To Ban Whales, Dolphins At Aquarium: Court
    VANCOUVER — A British Columbia court has ruled that Vancouver's park board didn't have the authority to ban whales, dolphins and porpoises at the city's aquarium.

    Vancouver Park Board Lacked Authority To Ban Whales, Dolphins At Aquarium: Court