Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2025 10:24 AM
  • Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

The Industrial Inquiry Commission report on the labour dispute at Canada Post recommends phasing out daily door-to-door letter mail delivery for individual addresses, while daily delivery to businesses should be maintained. 

It also says the moratoriums on rural post office closures and community mailbox conversions should be lifted. 

"My recommendations are based on my conclusion that there is a way to preserve Canada Post as a vital national institution," commissioner William Kaplan wrote in the report released Friday.

"I have designed them to respond to the present problem: to arrest and then reverse the growing financial losses by putting into place the necessary structural changes both within and outside the collective agreements."

The report was called for after Ottawa asked the federal labour board to send postal employees back to work last year to end a strike that was disrupting holiday mail deliveries.

The report examined the state of Canada Post and its finances, in relation to reaching a labour deal. 

Kaplan wrote that Canada Post is facing an existential crisis and is effectively insolvent.

"Without thoughtful, measured, staged, but immediate changes, its fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate," he wrote.

Kaplan said that until recently Canada Post was able to operate in a financially sustainable manner as low-cost urban and suburban mail delivery subsidized high-cost delivery to rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.

"This model no longer works because the traditional core business – mail delivery – has fundamentally changed: fewer letters must now be delivered to more addresses," he wrote. 

Among its other recommendations, it says Canada Post must have the flexibility to hire part-time employees to deliver parcels on the weekend and to assist with volume during the week.

It also says Canada Post must also be able to change routes daily to reflect volumes.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford is defending simultaneously wearing two hats — campaigning in a snap election he called and taking anti-tariff actions as premier. This is a bad time for Ontario to find itself in an election, the other political party leaders say, amid the chaos of U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats. 

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires
More than 30 firefighters from British Columbia's Wildfire Service have returned home from a deployment fighting large fires that destroyed thousands of homes around Southern California. The Ministry of Forests say the crews are part of two separate groups, the first consisting of 13 technical specialists who were deployed on Jan. 11 to support the effort to combat the Palisades wildfire in L.A.

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case
The B.C. Court of Appeal says a man convicted of sexually assaulting his wife deserves a new trial because messages between the pair about a consensual "rape role-play" scenario were wrongfully excluded as evidence. The ruling released on Friday says the complainant and accused, who can't be identified under a publication ban, were married but separated at the time of the alleged sexual assault in November 2019. 

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking
Police in Burnaby say six people are facing a combined total of 36 charges related to illicit drug trafficking. A statement from the R-C-M-P says they were part of a "particularly violent" drug-trafficking organization with links to the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing
Police say a 32-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder after a fatal stabbing outside a Coquitlam pub last week. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Coquitlam R-C-M-P had responded to a call about a fight outside the John B Pub on Friday night.

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150
Canada's top court is expanding its public outreach to build trust at a time of increasing misinformation as more people get their news from social media. Chief Justice Richard Wagner and other justices of the Supreme Court of Canada launched a cross-country tour in Victoria, B.C., on Monday to mark the court's 150th anniversary.

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150