Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2025 10:24 AM
  • Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

The Industrial Inquiry Commission report on the labour dispute at Canada Post recommends phasing out daily door-to-door letter mail delivery for individual addresses, while daily delivery to businesses should be maintained. 

It also says the moratoriums on rural post office closures and community mailbox conversions should be lifted. 

"My recommendations are based on my conclusion that there is a way to preserve Canada Post as a vital national institution," commissioner William Kaplan wrote in the report released Friday.

"I have designed them to respond to the present problem: to arrest and then reverse the growing financial losses by putting into place the necessary structural changes both within and outside the collective agreements."

The report was called for after Ottawa asked the federal labour board to send postal employees back to work last year to end a strike that was disrupting holiday mail deliveries.

The report examined the state of Canada Post and its finances, in relation to reaching a labour deal. 

Kaplan wrote that Canada Post is facing an existential crisis and is effectively insolvent.

"Without thoughtful, measured, staged, but immediate changes, its fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate," he wrote.

Kaplan said that until recently Canada Post was able to operate in a financially sustainable manner as low-cost urban and suburban mail delivery subsidized high-cost delivery to rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.

"This model no longer works because the traditional core business – mail delivery – has fundamentally changed: fewer letters must now be delivered to more addresses," he wrote. 

Among its other recommendations, it says Canada Post must have the flexibility to hire part-time employees to deliver parcels on the weekend and to assist with volume during the week.

It also says Canada Post must also be able to change routes daily to reflect volumes.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey council to vote on the city's largest road project

Surrey council to vote on the city's largest road project
Surrey council is voting tonight on what the city calls its largest-ever road project. The 72 Avenue Corridor project includes an extension from 152 Street to Highway 15 and has an estimated price tag of 150-million dollars.

Surrey council to vote on the city's largest road project

Woman chased at transit station

Woman chased at transit station
A suspect has been arrested in Richmond after reports of an armed man chasing a woman at a transit station. Mounties say it happened over the weekend, when witnesses told police that a man carrying a knife got off a train and fell down an escalator.

Woman chased at transit station

2 arrested in string of break-ins

2 arrested in string of break-ins
Port Moody police say they have arrested two men in a string of vehicle break-ins in the city. Police say officers received a report over the weekend of two suspects attempting to break into parked cars in the Heritage Mountain neighbourhood.

2 arrested in string of break-ins

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Man dead after collision with semi-truck
Police say a man is dead after his pickup collided with a semi-truck near Quesnel. Mounties say the crash happened on November 29th just before 4:30 p-m on Highway 97 north of the community.

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold
Canada Post says it's waiting for a response from the union representing some 55,000 striking workers after it offered a new framework for negotiations over the weekend.  The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has said its negotiators are reviewing the proposal.

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister
The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped. The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister