Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2025 10:24 AM
  • Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

The Industrial Inquiry Commission report on the labour dispute at Canada Post recommends phasing out daily door-to-door letter mail delivery for individual addresses, while daily delivery to businesses should be maintained. 

It also says the moratoriums on rural post office closures and community mailbox conversions should be lifted. 

"My recommendations are based on my conclusion that there is a way to preserve Canada Post as a vital national institution," commissioner William Kaplan wrote in the report released Friday.

"I have designed them to respond to the present problem: to arrest and then reverse the growing financial losses by putting into place the necessary structural changes both within and outside the collective agreements."

The report was called for after Ottawa asked the federal labour board to send postal employees back to work last year to end a strike that was disrupting holiday mail deliveries.

The report examined the state of Canada Post and its finances, in relation to reaching a labour deal. 

Kaplan wrote that Canada Post is facing an existential crisis and is effectively insolvent.

"Without thoughtful, measured, staged, but immediate changes, its fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate," he wrote.

Kaplan said that until recently Canada Post was able to operate in a financially sustainable manner as low-cost urban and suburban mail delivery subsidized high-cost delivery to rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.

"This model no longer works because the traditional core business – mail delivery – has fundamentally changed: fewer letters must now be delivered to more addresses," he wrote. 

Among its other recommendations, it says Canada Post must have the flexibility to hire part-time employees to deliver parcels on the weekend and to assist with volume during the week.

It also says Canada Post must also be able to change routes daily to reflect volumes.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada is pausing private refugee sponsorship applications until 2026

Canada is pausing private refugee sponsorship applications until 2026
Canada is pausing private refugee sponsorships from groups of five or more people and community organizations to help clear a backlog of applications.  The notice was published on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website today. 

Canada is pausing private refugee sponsorship applications until 2026

8 llamas rescued from South Surrey

8 llamas rescued from South Surrey
The BC SPCA says it has rescued eight llamas, including a four-month-old baby, from a property in South Surrey. The society says the animals were at large and possibly abandoned when they were found with heavy matting and overgrown toenails.

8 llamas rescued from South Surrey

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike
A Quebec woman whose father died in British Columbia last month says her family has been unable to properly grieve because the Canada Post strike has left his remains in limbo. Emily Walstrom said her father's cremated remains were put into the mail before Canada Post employees walked off the job on Nov. 15. 

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Robson Square ice rink open for winter
Vancouver's Robson Square ice rink is open for the winter. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says the rink, which draws more than 100-thousand skaters annually, will run seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. until Feb. 28, 2025. 

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Man charged in break and enter

Man charged in break and enter
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been charged after an alleged five-day break and enter spree in the city a year ago. They say that between November 8th and 12th, 2023, officers were called to nine break-and-enters in apartment buildings in the city centre.

Man charged in break and enter

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat