Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Contractor to try to recover overboard containers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Oct, 2021 09:31 AM
  • Contractor to try to recover overboard containers

VANCOUVER - The Canadian Coast Guard says the owner of a ship that lost 109 containers overboard in stormy weather last week has hired a contractor to try to recover the bins loaded with cargo.

It says in a statement that a salvage team was using thermal cameras to find remaining hot spots on the MV Zim Kingston after some of the containers caught fire last weekend. Active firefighting operations continued Thursday in containers that hold tires, it said.

Five containers have been spotted at the very northern tip of Vancouver Island, more than 400 kilometres away, but two containers carrying hazardous materials were not among them. The coast guard says trajectory modelling shows the containers that were still floating will continue to drift north.

Cargo in the containers include industrial and car parts, Christmas decorations, sofas, poker tables, clothing, toys, yoga mats, stand-up paddle boards and other everyday items.

The coast guard said air samples taken along the Greater Victoria waterfront show no negative effects from the ship.

"Once the initial response to the MV Zim Kingston is complete, the Transportation Safety Board may conduct an investigation into the incident, including why the ship lost containers during the storm and why some of the remaining containers caught on fire. Right now the highest priority continues to be putting the fires out and ensuring the remaining containers are secure before the ship is moved to port for unloading."

The Transportation Safety Board says it is gathering information on the incident and assessing the scope of the investigation it may conduct.

Darrell Wilson, a spokesman for Danaos, which manages the ship, said the master of the vessel ordered the evacuation of 16 members while he and other key personnel remained on board to try and put out a fire among some of the containers. Danaos commissioned a team of marine firefighters to ensure conditions were appropriate for the safe return of the vessel’s crew, he said.

Transport Canada said in a written statement that after the ship reported losing some containers in heavy seas on Friday, the master requested an anchorage from the Pacific Pilotage Authority and was allocated one at Constance Bank, about 7.5 kilometres (four nautical miles) south of Victoria.

The agency said that anchoring is a common right in Canada and that a ship is generally free to anchor temporarily and for a reasonable time in any location deemed appropriate.

Peter Lahay, national spokesman for the International Transport Workers Federation, said about five crew members stayed on board the ship to hose down the containers while the rest of the crew were taken to a hotel in Victoria before returning on Tuesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals maintain lead over rivals, poll shows

Liberals maintain lead over rivals, poll shows
Twenty-nine per cent of respondents in the survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies said they would vote for the Liberals if an election were held today, which was only one point more than two weeks ago.

Liberals maintain lead over rivals, poll shows

Singh calls for expanded Afghan resettlement

Singh calls for expanded Afghan resettlement
At a news conference in Toronto this morning, Singh said federal officials should be "very broad" in their approach and accept parents, siblings and other relatives of interpreters whose lives are at risk as the Taliban retakes swaths of the war-torn country.

Singh calls for expanded Afghan resettlement

Hootsuite to acquire Heyday for $60 million

Hootsuite to acquire Heyday for $60 million
Social media management business Hootsuite says it has acquired artificial intelligence chatbot company Heyday. Vancouver-based Hootsuite says it agreed to pay $60 million for the company.

Hootsuite to acquire Heyday for $60 million

A group of South Asian grandmothers and kids targeted with racist slurs at a Surrey Park and had garbage thrown at them, South Asian politicians want action

A group of South Asian grandmothers and kids targeted with racist slurs at a Surrey Park and had garbage thrown at them, South Asian politicians want action
Apart from having racist remarks hurled at them garbage was also thrown at them and at the kids at the park. Sahiba Sangha decided to look into the incident further when her grandmother came home and she realized something was not right.

A group of South Asian grandmothers and kids targeted with racist slurs at a Surrey Park and had garbage thrown at them, South Asian politicians want action

South Vancouver shooting lands man in hospital

South Vancouver shooting lands man in hospital
Police found the man at East 59th Avenue and Knight Street just after 3pm. The victim's injuries are non life threatening.

South Vancouver shooting lands man in hospital

Ajay Dilawri of the Dilawri Group has been bestowed with the Order of BC

Ajay Dilawri of the Dilawri Group has been bestowed with the Order of BC
Ajay Dilawri is a leading entrepreneur whose vision, perseverance, leadership, and social conscience continues to improve the lives of many people in our province. He has made a significant and far-reaching impact  throughout B.C.

Ajay Dilawri of the Dilawri Group has been bestowed with the Order of BC