Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 May, 2025 10:53 AM
  • Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

The BC Coroners Service says overdose deaths have been trending downward in the province, with 275 people dying in February and March due to the toxic drug supply.

The service says in a statement that March is the sixth consecutive month in which fewer than 160 people died due to unregulated drug toxicity.

It says preliminary figures show 143 people died in March, down more than 33 per cent year over year, while 132 people died in February, a decline of 35 per cent compared to the same month last year.

The service says smoking remains the most common way to consume toxic drugs, with investigations indicating more than six in 10 of those who died smoked their substances.

Vancouver recorded the most deaths in the first quarter of 2025 with 97, followed by 52 in Surrey and 28 in Victoria.

The coroners service says people between 30 and 59-years old accounted for 67 per cent of drug-toxicity deaths in the first three months of 2025, and 76 per cent were male.

It says toxicological testing shows fentanyl and related substances remain the most common in drug toxicity deaths, with more than three-quarters of victims testing positive for fentanyl in their systems

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

MORE National ARTICLES

Joly to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Rubio as tariff threat looms

Joly to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Rubio as tariff threat looms
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is back in Washington, D.C., Wednesday to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio as Canada faces the prospect of devastating tariffs landing as early as Saturday. Joly said Monday that she still believes diplomacy can fend off President Donald Trump's plan to hit Canada with 25 per cent across-the-board duties.

Joly to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Rubio as tariff threat looms

Calgary council approves Green Line, ending heated political battle with province

Calgary council approves Green Line, ending heated political battle with province
The City of Calgary is moving forward with a multi-billion-dollar transit project that was the centre of a months-long battle with the Alberta government. Council had hit pause on the $6.5-billion Green Line project after the province said last fall it wouldn't provide its share of the funding if the downtown section went underground.

Calgary council approves Green Line, ending heated political battle with province

Snowfall warnings for some of Northern BC

Snowfall warnings for some of Northern BC
A series of snowfall and winter storm warnings are covering parts of northern BC. Environment Canada says heavy snow was expected to continue in the Stewart area, north of Prince Rupert, until later today.

Snowfall warnings for some of Northern BC

Invictus Games 2025 medals unveiled in Vancouver

Invictus Games 2025 medals unveiled in Vancouver
Organizers of the 2025 Invictus Games, which kick off next weekend in Vancouver, have unveiled the medals that will be awarded to athletes over the nine days of competition. The charity says in a news release that the 462 medals were designed by four First Nations artists and will be presented at 167 ceremonies throughout the event.

Invictus Games 2025 medals unveiled in Vancouver

BoC cuts key rate by quarter point to 3% as tariffs threat looms

BoC cuts key rate by quarter point to 3% as tariffs threat looms
The Bank of Canada delivered another interest rate cut on Wednesday, reducing its policy rate by a quarter-percentage point to three per cent. But looming U.S. tariffs are weighing on the central bank’s economic outlook.

BoC cuts key rate by quarter point to 3% as tariffs threat looms

SPS charge man for allegedly ramming his way past a police cruiser

SPS charge man for allegedly ramming his way past a police cruiser
Surrey police have charged a 29-year-old man who is alleged to have tried to ram his way past a police cruiser.  It started when officers investigated a report of a suspicious vehicle in a parking lot on Friday.

SPS charge man for allegedly ramming his way past a police cruiser