Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 May, 2025 10:53 AM
  • Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

The BC Coroners Service says overdose deaths have been trending downward in the province, with 275 people dying in February and March due to the toxic drug supply.

The service says in a statement that March is the sixth consecutive month in which fewer than 160 people died due to unregulated drug toxicity.

It says preliminary figures show 143 people died in March, down more than 33 per cent year over year, while 132 people died in February, a decline of 35 per cent compared to the same month last year.

The service says smoking remains the most common way to consume toxic drugs, with investigations indicating more than six in 10 of those who died smoked their substances.

Vancouver recorded the most deaths in the first quarter of 2025 with 97, followed by 52 in Surrey and 28 in Victoria.

The coroners service says people between 30 and 59-years old accounted for 67 per cent of drug-toxicity deaths in the first three months of 2025, and 76 per cent were male.

It says toxicological testing shows fentanyl and related substances remain the most common in drug toxicity deaths, with more than three-quarters of victims testing positive for fentanyl in their systems

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

MORE National ARTICLES

Foreign interference probe calls on party leaders to get security clearances

Foreign interference probe calls on party leaders to get security clearances
Poilievre is the only party leader who has not opted to get the top-secret clearance that would allow him to receive briefings from security and intelligence agencies like CSIS. His chief of staff does have clearance.

Foreign interference probe calls on party leaders to get security clearances

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border
In a news release published Tuesday, the National Police Federation says it met with Canadian and U.S. police and public safety unions to talk about illegal migration, drug and firearms smuggling and human trafficking. The union says that the discussions helped it draft a set of recommendations for the Canadian and U.S. governments.

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid
Premier David Eby says protecting British Columbians from the potential impact of U.S. tariffs will be taken as seriously as the relief response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He says every decision being taken by his ministers, including plans for next month's budget, will be made through the lens of a "potentially protracted trade war."

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'
U.S. President Donald Trump's press secretary says the plan to slap Canada with punishing tariffs on Saturday is still in play. Karoline Leavitt told reporters at the White House that she spoke with the president Monday night and he indicated Feb. 1 was "still on the books" for the introduction of damaging duties against Canada and Mexico.

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations
Honveer Singh Randhawa and the BC Conservative Party said it had evidence of 45 suspicious votes in the Surrey-Guildford riding where the New Democrats won by just 22 votes, giving the party a slim majority government. 

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik
One of the hit men who murdered former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik has received a mandatory life sentence, without the possibility of parole for 20 years. Tanner Fox told the BC Supreme Court hearing in New Westminster on Tuesday that he was sorry, and was "young and dumb" at the time of the hired killing.

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik