Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 May, 2025 10:53 AM
  • Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

The BC Coroners Service says overdose deaths have been trending downward in the province, with 275 people dying in February and March due to the toxic drug supply.

The service says in a statement that March is the sixth consecutive month in which fewer than 160 people died due to unregulated drug toxicity.

It says preliminary figures show 143 people died in March, down more than 33 per cent year over year, while 132 people died in February, a decline of 35 per cent compared to the same month last year.

The service says smoking remains the most common way to consume toxic drugs, with investigations indicating more than six in 10 of those who died smoked their substances.

Vancouver recorded the most deaths in the first quarter of 2025 with 97, followed by 52 in Surrey and 28 in Victoria.

The coroners service says people between 30 and 59-years old accounted for 67 per cent of drug-toxicity deaths in the first three months of 2025, and 76 per cent were male.

It says toxicological testing shows fentanyl and related substances remain the most common in drug toxicity deaths, with more than three-quarters of victims testing positive for fentanyl in their systems

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

MORE National ARTICLES

Saskatchewan Mounties seize 400,000 unstamped cigarettes from semi, charge driver

Saskatchewan Mounties seize 400,000 unstamped cigarettes from semi, charge driver
Police have seized two dozen pallets of unstamped tobacco from a semi that was stopped by officers near Lumsden, Sask. RCMP Supt. Murray Chamberlin says 400,000 cigarettes have been prevented from circulating in the illegal market, along with potentially millions of dollars. 

Saskatchewan Mounties seize 400,000 unstamped cigarettes from semi, charge driver

Pellet gun mistaken for firearm

Pellet gun mistaken for firearm
Victoria police say they arrest a man found in a local shopping mall with what turned out to be a pellet gun made to look like a firearm. Police say the man was seen Sunday with what appeared to be a handgun tucked into his waistband as he entered Hillside Mall.

Pellet gun mistaken for firearm

Driver of stolen truck smashes store window

Driver of stolen truck smashes store window
Police in Kelowna are investigating after the driver of a stolen truck allegedly smashed through the front window of a store and stole large amounts of sports memorabilia. The R-C-M-P says the stolen white 2004 Ford F550 flat deck was taken about 10 minutes before the business was broken into and at least two suspects fled in a different vehicle.

Driver of stolen truck smashes store window

Suspect arrested in New Westminster stabbing

Suspect arrested in New Westminster stabbing
Police in New Westminster say they've arrested a suspect after a man was stabbed on Sunday. Police say they responded to the scene around 7 a.m. and found a man with a stab wound to his shoulder, who was transported to hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Suspect arrested in New Westminster stabbing

Cutting energy to U.S. in response to Trump tariffs is 'absurd,' says Bloc leader

Cutting energy to U.S. in response to Trump tariffs is 'absurd,' says Bloc leader
Yves-François Blanchet's position runs counter to that of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and most premiers — including Quebec's François Legault — who have said everything is on the table in negotiations with the Trump administration. Blanchet told The Canadian Press in an interview Monday that Canada's best response would be counter-tariffs and it would be "absurd" to cut energy exports.

Cutting energy to U.S. in response to Trump tariffs is 'absurd,' says Bloc leader

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case
More legal arguments are expected next week in the sexual assault case of five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team as they prepare to face trial this spring. Dillon Dube, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Cal Foote and Alex Formenton were charged with sexual assault early last year in an incident that allegedly took place in London, Ont., nearly six years earlier.

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case