Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney cancels trip to Europe following B.C. school shooting

Carney cancels trip to Europe following B.C. school shooting
Prime Minister Mark Carney has cancelled his plans to travel to Halifax and Munich, Germany, following a deadly school shooting in British Columbia.

Carney cancels trip to Europe following B.C. school shooting

What people are saying about mass shooting in B.C.

What people are saying about mass shooting in B.C.
RCMP say seven people were killed when a shooter entered a high school in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., on Tuesday, and then they killed themself. More than two dozen others were hurt, some of them seriously. Police say they found another crime scene where two people were killed and are believed to be connected to the shooter. 

What people are saying about mass shooting in B.C.

Mass shootings in Canada have helped prompt changes to firearm laws over the decades

Mass shootings in Canada have helped prompt changes to firearm laws over the decades
Mass shootings in Canada — including an April 2020 rampage in Nova Scotia — have helped spur changes to gun laws in recent decades.

Mass shootings in Canada have helped prompt changes to firearm laws over the decades

Canadian flags at half-mast as country mourns deaths in Tumbler Ridge, B.C.

Canadian flags at half-mast as country mourns deaths in Tumbler Ridge, B.C.
The horror of a school shooting in a small community in British Columbia is echoing across the country and around the world as police in Tumbler Ridge try to piece together why 10 people are dead, including the suspect. 

Canadian flags at half-mast as country mourns deaths in Tumbler Ridge, B.C.

B.C. organization enters debate on government-run grocery amid rising food costs

B.C. organization enters debate on government-run grocery amid rising food costs
When Elizabeth Osinde arrived in Canada about two years ago as a refugee from Kenya, pregnant with her son, she remembers being able to buy a bunch of kale for $2 or $3 dollars.

B.C. organization enters debate on government-run grocery amid rising food costs

Conservatives to propose changing the rules for non-citizens convicted of crimes

Conservatives to propose changing the rules for non-citizens convicted of crimes
The Conservatives are planning to introduce a motion today to bar non-citizens convicted of serious crimes from making refugee claims.

Conservatives to propose changing the rules for non-citizens convicted of crimes