Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

'Strategic choice': B.C. backs bid to host new defence bank in Vancouver

'Strategic choice': B.C. backs bid to host new defence bank in Vancouver
British Columbia's government is supporting a private bid to host a new international bank to finance military projects by democratic nations, with Premier David Eby calling Vancouver the "strategic choice" to host it.

'Strategic choice': B.C. backs bid to host new defence bank in Vancouver

Ottawa plans to add 8,000 new electric vehicle charging ports in Canada

Ottawa plans to add 8,000 new electric vehicle charging ports in Canada
The federal government is looking to increase the number of electric vehicle chargers across the country as part of its new automotive strategy, but is still well short of the number it was advised is necessary to support the transition to battery-powered cars.

Ottawa plans to add 8,000 new electric vehicle charging ports in Canada

Carney leaves Wednesday for Munich Security Conference

Carney leaves Wednesday for Munich Security Conference
Prime Minister Mark Carney is heading to Germany later this week for the world’s top security conference, as Canada works to update its own defence policy.

Carney leaves Wednesday for Munich Security Conference

Carney says he spoke to Trump after president threatened to block Gordie Howe bridge

Carney says he spoke to Trump after president threatened to block Gordie Howe bridge
Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke to Donald Trump about the Gordie Howe International Bridge Tuesday morning, one day after the U.S. president threatened to prevent it from opening.

Carney says he spoke to Trump after president threatened to block Gordie Howe bridge

Contract for direct-access road to future Newton Community Centre goes before council

Contract for direct-access road to future Newton Community Centre goes before council
At tonight’s Regular Council Meeting, Surrey City Council will consider awarding a contract for road and utility work in the area surrounding the new Newton Community Centre. This is an important early phase of construction for the new facility to improve direct road access for residents and visitors.

Contract for direct-access road to future Newton Community Centre goes before council

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine
A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine