Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police
Mounties say a man has been charged more than a year after a body was found on a rural property in south central B.C. A statement from police says the body of Wayne Sirvio was discovered at a home in Sicamous on Aug. 5, 2023, three days after he was reported missing.

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'
The large wildfire that destroyed multiple homes in British Columbia's southern Interior last month is now considered "held." BC Wildfire Service says the 280-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire is not likely to spread further, but crews still have hard work ahead.

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba
Mounties in Manitoba say they are investigating four deaths in and around the small community of McCreary, northwest of Winnipeg. RCMP Staff Sgt. Richard Sherring says around 10 a.m. today, officers acting on a tip found the body of a 41 year-old man on a road who had died from a self-inflicted injury.

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School
A Surrey high school is about to boost its classroom space in a big way. The province says it will invest 78.6-million-dollars on a four-storey addition to Fleetwood Park Secondary School. The new expansion will add 800 student seats and is set to include a neighbourhood learning centre, an Indigenous learning and meeting space as well as a space for child-care.

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death
A man who told police he was "joking around" with his girlfriend when he fatally shot her in the head has been sentenced to four years in prison for manslaughter with an additional six months for possessing a rifle without a licence. The British Columbia provincial court decision in Vancouver says Trevor Brown was 18 when he shot Anichka Loeffler, who was also 18, in November 2020.

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP
RCMP in Coquitlam say an injured bear had to be put down after officers discovered that residents had been feeding it. They say police and the BC Conservation Officer Service went to a neighbourhood in Coquitlam on Wednesday and found an injured bear surrounded by a large crowd. 

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP