Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa says U.S. move to tighten border rules for asylum seekers in line with law

Ottawa says U.S. move to tighten border rules for asylum seekers in line with law
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spokesperson Matthew Krupovich said the changes "do not impact the terms of the (agreement) nor the criteria for an exemption or exception under the agreement."

Ottawa says U.S. move to tighten border rules for asylum seekers in line with law

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

2 people injured in rock climbing incident
B-C Emergency Health Services say two people were taken to hospital by helicopter from a rock climbing area in Squamish yesterday.  Brain Twaites, public information officer with the B-C E-H-S says the agency received a call before 1 p.m. about people in need of medical assistance in the Squamish region. 

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

Man dies in Whalley

Man dies in Whalley
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking witnesses to contact them after a man died in the Whalley neighbourhood Wednesday night.  The R-C-M-P says officers received a call from B-C Emergency Health Services at 6:40 p.m. on Wednesday and they located an unresponsive man who had fallen while lleaving a transit bus.

Man dies in Whalley

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late
The total cost of building the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain extension in Metro Vancouver has soared by $2 billion and the project has been delayed for a year. The Transportation Ministry says in a statement the budget of the 16-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain into Langley is now estimated at $5.996 billion, up from the original $4 billion projected. 

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown
Officials say they'll never know the cause of a massive fire earlier this summer that started a warehouse and then burned a wooden trestle in Metro Vancouver. The fire sent black smoke billowing across the region, prompting an air quality advisory and the temporary closure of a bridge between Vancouver and Richmond.

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs
The $18.4 million CBC/Radio-Canada awarded in bonuses to its employees this year is shocking, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said. He also said bonuses at the public broadcaster aren't justified because a government-owned corporation doesn't face competition like in the private sector. 

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs