Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break
Calgary's mayor is promising a wide-ranging examination of the city's underground infrastructure after a catastrophic water main break that has forced more than two weeks of use restrictions. Jyoti Gondek says she will be asking council to ensure it has the budget to provide a clear picture of all the city's water system.

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted
The Metro Vancouver Regional District says a fire at a trestle bridge in Richmond, B.C., has been extinguished after sending up huge plumes of smoke that prompted an air quality bulletin for the region. The district says in an update on the social media platform X that air quality has now improved and it will issue an update to end the bulletin.

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix
Calgary's mayor is sticking to opening day of the Stampede as a best-case scenario for the full resumption of water services in the city. But Jyoti Gondek warns that unforeseen problems could delay repairs to a catastrophic water main break that has forced citywide use restrictions for more than two weeks

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year
Families Minister Jenna Sudds says the government hopes to see kids getting meals from the national school food program before the end of the next school year, but it will take time for organizations to scale up their operations.  The Liberals set aside $1 billion over five years for the program, which they promised during the 2021 election campaign.

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says
The father of a homicide victim in Surrey says she was killed in a home invasion on the weekend. The Integrated Homicide Investigation team says 30-year-old Tori Dunn died after being found with life-threatening injuries at a home in the Port Kells area of Surrey late Sunday night.

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

Man charged in assault

Man charged in assault
Surrey police say a 41-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault in connection to a stabbing last month. R-C-M-P say a woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries on May 26th.

Man charged in assault