Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people
More than 50 people from a supportive-housing complex in Nanaimo were displaced Sunday after a fire in a mattress that was started by a cigarette. Troy Libbus, Nanaimo Fire Rescue's assistant chief, said their crew responded to an alarm at Samaritan Place, a supportive-housing complex that has 51 units. 

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison
A man convicted of first-degree murder for killing his business partner in Port Coquitlam in 1994 has died in prison. Correctional Service Canada says David Anthony Lowe, an inmate at William Head Institution near Victoria, died of apparent natural causes last week. 

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

One dead in Burnaby stabbing
Police in Burnaby say homicide investigators are looking for any witnesses or dash-camera footage after a fatal stabbing yesterday evening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing along 1st Avenue near Ingleton Avenue at around 6:15 p-m. 

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall
Mounties in Burnaby say their community response team arrested six shoplifters after being deployed to one of the city’s malls for six hours. Police say nearly 75-hundred-dollars worth of stolen items was recovered and returned to retailers. 

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents
British Columbia's worker safety agency is moving to address "gaps" in construction crane safety after recent accidents, including fatalities. WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety. 

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby
British Columbia Premier David Eby says construction of an $85-million expansion of kidney hemodialysis services in Surrey is set to start in August. Eby says a new unit at Surrey Memorial Hospital will add 21 renal hemodialysis beds to treat patients with kidney disease, bringing the hospital's total to 60 stations.

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby