Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site
The head office of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia in North Vancouver will be transformed into an urban housing development with hundreds of homes near major transit hubs.  Premier David Eby says the province has reached an agreement to buy the Crown auto insurer's waterfront headquarters with plans to develop market and below-market homes close to transit and the SeaBus to Vancouver.

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle
The vehicle was later relocated abandoned in Richmond, and the driver was arrested nearby with the assistance of Richmond RCMP Gang Enforcement Team (RGET) and Vancouver Police Department Gang Crime Unit (GCU). The driver was identified as 20-year-old Gurjot Singh Bhatti.

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

More housing to come near transit hubs

More housing to come near transit hubs
Premier David Eby and Transport Minister Rob Fleming are expected to make an announcement about more homes being built near transit today. There’s no word yet on what exactly the announcement is.

More housing to come near transit hubs

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall
A new health centre dedicated to serving British Columbia's French-language speakers will open its doors this fall in Vancouver.  A statement from B.C.’s Ministry of Health says the current Vancouver Urban Health Centre cannot accommodate the needs of the Lower Mainland’s growing French-speaking community even though it offers primary care in both French and English. 

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main
Five additional areas requiring further repair along the feeder main were detected late last week, but Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek told an update Sunday that a robotic inspection of 300 metres more of the pipe found no further breaches.

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men
Mounties in Richmond are looking for witnesses to an alleged robbery in which the victim reported being attacked and robbed by as many as eight masked people. Police say the man was leaving a plaza in the area of Number 3 Road and Williams Road, where he says he was hit in the head with a weapon and his backpack was stolen.

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men