Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

126 children and youth died from toxic drugs in five years, says BC Coroners Service

126 children and youth died from toxic drugs in five years, says BC Coroners Service
A report from the BC Coroners Service says 126 children and youth younger than 19 died from toxic drugs between 2019 and 2023. That makes unregulated drug toxicity the leading cause of unnatural death for the age group over those five years.

126 children and youth died from toxic drugs in five years, says BC Coroners Service

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops
Mounties in the Interior say two people are dead after a crash between two semi-trucks on Highway 1 near Sorrento, east of Kamloops. Chase R-C-M-P say officers responded to the crash at 11:45 P-M and found one of the semis travelling east had failed to make a right turn, resulting in the truck flipping onto its side in the oncoming lane. 

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops

2 killed in Cloverdale crash

2 killed in Cloverdale crash
Police in Surrey are asking for anyone with dash-camera footage to come forward after a crash that killed two people in the Cloverdale neighbourhood. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to the crash at around 4:40 p-m yesterday, after a Dodge Ram pickup heading east on Highway 10 crashed into a westbound Acura sedan attempting to make a left turn onto 184th Street.

2 killed in Cloverdale crash

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Minimum wage going up June 1st
B-C's minimum hourly wage is increasing to 17 dollars and 40 cents, up from 16.75. The Labour Ministry says the 3.9 per cent increase kicks in on Saturday. It says in a statement that the increase will help about 240-thousand workers in the province who currently earn less than 17.40 an hour.

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Israel seemed to be on the verge of approving a program to get Palestinian relatives of Canadians out of the Gaza Strip before the country's invasion of the town of Rafah. His comments come amid mounting criticism over measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in the Gaza Strip and Sudan to safety.

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP
Police in British Columbia say a man from Vancouver Island has been arrested and charged with child exploitation offences following a tip from American authorities. RCMP say in a statement that the B.C. Integrated Child Exploitation Unit received information from U.S. Homeland Security Investigations last September about a suspect who was allegedly exploiting children using a social media application. 

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP