Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin
The Alberta Utilities Commission is fining another electricity generator that powered bitcoin mining for operating without a licence. 

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video
One of the Indian nationals accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar says in a social media video that he received a Canadian study permit with the help of an Indian immigration consultancy. In the Facebook video posted in December 2019 by EthicWorks Immigration Services and first reported by Global News, Karan Brar says his "study visa has arrived," while a photo shows him holding up what appears to be a passport with a Canadian study permit inside.

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026. The Crown-owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. is in good financial shape and in a position to offer rebates totalling $400 million, Premier David Eby said Wednesday at a news conference that began to the strain's of AC/DC's "Back In Black," a reference to the corporation's financial position.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism
Quebec Premier François Legault is defending his comments about a new history museum after he was accused by a prominent First Nations group of trying to erase their history.

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken
The president of London Drugs has issued a letter apologizing for a cybersecurity incident that forced the company to close stores for more than a week, but he says there's no evidence customer databases were compromised.

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response
Another barge went adrift in Vancouver's English Bay, prompting a quick response from the Canadian Coast Guard.

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response