Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease
The Columbia River watershed in B.C. has been declared an infected area for whirling disease, a parasite that causes deformities in fish and has a high mortality rate.

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use
On the same day the British Columbia government's approach to the overdose crisis faces a major shift, the provincial coroner announced another 192 people were killed by illicit drugs in March.

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again
Public drug use became illegal in British Columbia once again on Tuesday, after the federal government granted the province's request to scale back its drug decriminalization pilot.  The change represents a major policy climbdown for the provincial NDP government more than a year into the three-year pilot program with Ottawa that is aimed at tackling the deadly overdose crisis. 

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again

Illicit drug deaths reach 192 in March in B.C.

Illicit drug deaths reach 192 in March in B.C.
Another 192 people were killed in British Columbia by illicit drugs in March, 11 per cent down from the same month last year.  The BC Coroners Service says the relentless toll makes illicit drugs the leading cause of death for those aged between 10 and 59, surpassing accidents, suicide, homicides and natural causes combined. 

Illicit drug deaths reach 192 in March in B.C.

Israel's military operation in Rafah 'completely unacceptable

Israel's military operation in Rafah 'completely unacceptable
Canada's foreign minister says Israel's invasion of the city of Rafah in the Gaza Strip is "completely unacceptable," and she's holding out hope that ceasefire talks will prevail. 

Israel's military operation in Rafah 'completely unacceptable

Official languages commissioner sees complaints drop by more than half in past year

Official languages commissioner sees complaints drop by more than half in past year
The number of complaints from Canadians who say their language rights weren't respected dropped by more than half last year, but the official languages commissioner says it's too early to say there is a downward trend.

Official languages commissioner sees complaints drop by more than half in past year