Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Protest outside Mount Sinai Hospital 'reprehensible' show of antisemitism: Trudeau

Protest outside Mount Sinai Hospital 'reprehensible' show of antisemitism: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is denouncing a protest outside a Toronto hospital as a "reprehensible" display of antisemitism as police say they are investigating several incidents that took place during the demonstration.

Protest outside Mount Sinai Hospital 'reprehensible' show of antisemitism: Trudeau

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts
Members of Parliament have invited several top executives from BCE Inc. and Bell Canada to testify later this month about the company's decision to cut about nine per cent of its workforce this year.  The House of Commons heritage committee has agreed to invite BCE Inc. CEO Mirko Bibic to address the cuts, which include impacts on newsrooms across the country. 

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units
The New Democrat government's almost $3 billion BC Builds program will target property owned by governments, communities and non-profits, and provide low-cost financing to fast-track affordable rental developments on underutilized lands across B.C., he said.  

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs
Police in British Columbia say an investigation spanning several communities has led to the largest one-time seizure of contraband cigarettes in the province, with a retail value of $11 million, along with guns, ammunition and illegal drugs. A statement from the Combined Special Enforcement Unit says it received information last August prompting the investigation that expanded throughout B.C.'s Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island.  

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby
A 44-million-dollar project aims to improve operations at the Burnaby transit centre.  A statement from Infrastructure Canada says the joint funding from the federal government and TransLink will support up to 130 additional buses in the fast-growing Metro Vancouver community.

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding
Langley City council is asking the B-C government to invest in expanding schools to address overcrowding as the community grows. A statement from Mayor Nathan Pachal says enrolment has already surpassed capacity, and the expected arrival of the SkyTrain in 2028 along with new provincial housing requirements will bring significantly more students over the next decade.

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding