Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park
A cougar attack in a popular wilderness area of Banff National Park has left one person with minor injuries. EMS crews responded to the Rockbound Lake trailhead around 11 a.m. on Monday for reports that a person had been attacked by a cougar, said Alberta Health Services. 

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities
The federal government will roll out more than 60 housing agreements with small and rural communities across the country over the next few weeks, Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced Tuesday. Fraser said in a news conference that the deals are worth $176 million and will help build more than 50,000 housing units over the next decade.  

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital
Police in Coquitlam say they're investigating a shooting late Sunday night that injured two people in a parking lot.  Mounties say they went to the lot near Barnet Highway and Pinetree Way just before midnight on February 11th. 

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

One dead in White Rock blaze

One dead in White Rock blaze
White Rock fire officials say one person is dead after a blaze broke out in an apartment unit. Firefighters were called to the building over the weekend and contained the blaze to one apartment, but there was water and smoke damage in other areas.

One dead in White Rock blaze

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors
British Columbia's seniors advocate welcomes newly announced federal funding for seniors' health care, and says she's particularly excited about the promise to support seniors at home. Isobel Mackenzie said she also hopes some of that money is allocated to cover home-support payments for about 70 per cent of B.C. seniors who don't qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement.

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run
Police on Vancouver Island have arrested and charged a man with first-degree murder in the hit-and-run death of a cyclist last week. Comox Valley RCMP say that 45-year-old Steven Squires of Cumberland, B.C., has also been charged with failure to stop after an accident causing death and remains in custody. 

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run