Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave
In a decision posted online by Dave Teixeira, a spokesman for the children's relatives, the board says Schoenborn must not possess weapons, use alcohol or non-approved drugs or have contact with the relatives.

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight
British Columbia's government has amalgamated 11 health-professional colleges into two, setting the foundation for what it says is stronger oversight. Health Minister Adrian Dix says merging the colleges is part of the government's plan to ensure health professionals are regulated more consistently and robustly. 

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn
R-C-M-P homicide investigators say a man with a long criminal history has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 30-year-old Tori Dunn in Surrey. Dunn died from injuries she sustained in what her father has described as a violent home invasion in the Port Kells neighbourhood on June 16th.

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend
Pierre Poilievre is the only federal leader whose staff would not answer questions about whether their chief intends to participate in Pride events this summer. Instead, his office is pointing to Melissa Lantsman, the party's deputy leader, who attended a Pride flag-raising ceremony on Parliament Hill earlier this month.

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says
The Canadian Armed Forces was following "legal orders" when it tried to rescue a group of Afghan Sikhs during the fall of Kabul three years ago, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre said. Eyre's comment came as former defence minister Harjit Sajjan explained his decision to intervene on behalf of a group of around 200 Afghan Sikhs who were trapped along with thousands of others in August 2021.

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria
Police in Victoria say a man has been charged with murder stemming from a fatal stabbing attack in March. Police say the stabbing happened on March 31st in downtown Victoria, where officers found one male victim dead and another unidentified victim suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria