Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police
Police say the occupants of a Winnipeg home destroyed in an explosion have been located and are safe. They say a father and daughter who lived in the home left before the blast and were found later in the day.

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems
British Columbia's public power utility says for the first time it will provide rebates for the installation of rooftop solar and battery storage systems for residents and businesses.  BC Hydro says in a news release that eligible homeowners can receive rebates up to $10,000 for installing a qualified solar and battery storage system, while apartment buildings, schools, businesses and others could get from $50,000 to $150,000 back. 

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan
Foreign workers have been making the transition to permanent residency at higher rates in recent years, Statistics Canada says. A new report from the federal agency shows that between 2016 and 2020, 23 per cent of foreign workers had become permanent residents two years after obtaining their first work permits.

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen
Commuter traffic is returning to normal in Calgary following a major water main break three weeks ago. Calgary's mayor says the avenue above the repaired water main is set to reopen Friday.

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Unprovoked spat on female

Unprovoked spat on female
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for a man who spat unprovoked at another pedestrian before fleeing. Police say the assault happened while the victim, a female pedestrian, was walking on a sidewalk in the early evening hours near Coquitlam Centre when she was spat on.

Unprovoked spat on female

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles
Abbotsford police say officers impounded 42 vehicles in a 48-hour period last week during a campaign targeting speeding drivers in the city. Police say officers were monitoring high-traffic corridors during the enforcement, and each driver caught speeding was issued a ticket and had their vehicle impounded for 7 days.

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles