Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget
A new poll suggests the Liberals have not won over voters with their latest budget, though there is broad support for their plan to build millions of homes. Just shy of half the respondents to Leger's latest survey said they had a negative opinion of the federal budget, which was presented last Tuesday. 

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat
British Columbia has placed its proposed online harms legislation on hold after reaching an agreement with social media companies to "sit down in good faith" to find solutions on keeping people safer online.  Premier David Eby said the proposed legislation remains, and the province will reactivate it into law if necessary.

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat

B.C. government to set out housing targets for 20 more communities

B.C. government to set out housing targets for 20 more communities
The British Columbia government has named another 20 cities and towns as priority communities for housing targets over the next five years. The government says in a statement the communities are in high-growth, high-need regions of B.C.   

B.C. government to set out housing targets for 20 more communities

B.C. government sets November date for Surrey police transition

B.C. government sets November date for Surrey police transition
British Columbia's government has set Nov. 29 as the date when the Surrey Police Service will take over from the RCMP as the city's force of jurisdiction. Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says Surrey RCMP will continue to operate and provide support after the official transition, although the Mounties will determine what type of support will be offered.

B.C. government sets November date for Surrey police transition

U.S. authorities searching for missing B.C. kayakers have found a body: RCMP

U.S. authorities searching for missing B.C. kayakers have found a body: RCMP
Police in British Columbia say United States authorities searching for a pair of missing kayakers have found a body in the San Juan Islands of Washington state. RCMP spokesman Cpl. James Grandy says searchers south of the border have not yet identified the person as one of the missing kayakers.

U.S. authorities searching for missing B.C. kayakers have found a body: RCMP

Stabbing near White Rock Pier

Stabbing near White Rock Pier
Police in White Rock are looking for witnesses after a stabbing put a person in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. R-C-M-P say the stabbing happened late Sunday near WhiteRock Pier, and initial investigations indicate there was no confrontation before the attack.

Stabbing near White Rock Pier