Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Shipping container stolen from Abbotsford

Shipping container stolen from Abbotsford
Police in Abbotsford say an elaborate operation would have been needed to steal a large shipping container from a rural property this week. The department says the 12-metre long container disappeared during daylight hours on Monday.

Shipping container stolen from Abbotsford

Joly urges halt to escalating violence as Israel suspected of airstrike on Iran

Joly urges halt to escalating violence as Israel suspected of airstrike on Iran
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is once again urging Israel and Iran to prevent their long-running conflict from spiralling into a broader Middle East crisis. She is calling for de-escalation and has co-signed a lengthy statement that touches on the Israel-Hamas war, the humanitarian plight in Gaza and attacks on ships off the coast of Yemen.  

Joly urges halt to escalating violence as Israel suspected of airstrike on Iran

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant
British Columbia's Environment Ministry says a 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from a fibreboard factory in Quesnel doesn't pose any immediate risk to public safety. It says in a statement that Monday's spill from the WestPine Medium-Density Fibreboard plant into a gravel pit has been assessed and no waterways have been affected.

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant

Changes for short-term rentals as of May 1st

Changes for short-term rentals as of May 1st
The BC government says analysis of short-term rental data from March showed that more than 19-thousand entire homes in the province are listed for rent for most of the year.  That figure will change starting May 1st, when the new short-term rental rules kick in for more than 60 communities in B-C. 

Changes for short-term rentals as of May 1st

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is a "fraud" for portraying himself as a friend of the working class, the head of the country's largest labour organization said Thursday, urging unions to do everything they can to expose him before the next federal election. Canadian Labour Congress President Bea Bruske delivered her call to arms as union leaders gathered in Ottawa to plot strategy ahead of the vote, which must happen before October 2025. 

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push
Foreign aid groups are hailing the federal Liberal government's return to a policy of increasing humanitarian and development spending each year, while asking for a plan to push allies to reverse a global decline in aid. 

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push