Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico
Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime.

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership
The FMWC was founded in 1924 by six pioneering female physicians who, at the time, faced significant barriers to entering and practicing in medical school. Their determination reshaped the field, creating opportunities for the generations of women physicians in Canada today.

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House
The federal government is asking Parliament for approval to spend billions of dollars, but the ongoing stalemate in the House of Commons could prevent the Liberals from getting the green light. Treasury Board President Anita Anand tabled a request on Monday for $21.6 billion to fund programs including housing, dental care and the national school food program.

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan
One in five immigrants who come to Canada ultimately leave the country within 25 years, with about one-third of those people moving on within the first five years. The findings come from a report by the Institute for Canadian Citizenship and the Conference Board of Canada, which looked at the issue of onward migration for the second time. 

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver
The Transportation Safety Board says it's investigating after a Boeing 767 cargo jet went off a runway at Vancouver International Airport. The airport says the aircraft went off the north runway after landing about 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday, but none of the three-person crew was hurt. 

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet
Premier David Eby says "kitchen table" issues in British Columbia will be the focus for his revamped, post election cabinet that was sworn in on Monday. Eby's new cabinet, comprising 23 ministers and four ministers of state, features a mix of new and familiar faces elected in last month's narrow one-seat New Democrat election win.

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet