Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth
Health and Addictions Minister Ya'ara Saks is looking for pitches to help young Canadians who are struggling with their mental health. The federal government plans to distribute $500 million for projects that help young people struggling to afford private mental health care services.

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online
Prince Harry is in Vancouver for the launch of a campaign to raise awareness of the Invictus Games among children and youth, one day after surprising Canadian football fans by appearing at the Grey Cup in the city. The prince visited Vancouver-area elementary and high school students at Seaforth Armoury.

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet
There's been a near total shakeup of British Columbia's government cabinet, with few ministers retaining their jobs and some longtime backbenchers and newly elected members moving in. 

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet
A bus carrying members of Premier David Eby's new cabinet has arrived at Government House in Victoria, with passengers including both new and familiar faces. Among newly elected members of the NDP caucus on the bus were former broadcaster Randene Neill and Vancouver Police Department veteran Terry Yung, while cabinet veterans including Mike Farnworth, Adrian Dix and Ravi Kahlon, also walked off the bus.

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges
An Ottawa man is pleading not guilty to charges of terrorism and hate-speech related to the promotion of a far-right group. RCMP charged Patrick Gordon Macdonald in July 2023, alleging he took part in activities of a listed terrorist organization.

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Indecent act in Richmond

Indecent act in Richmond
Police are looking for a man who followed a woman who was walking in Richmond and then exposed his genitals to her.  They say it happened in the area of Number 3  Road and Goldstream Drive back on November 6th. 

Indecent act in Richmond