Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down
B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau says she is stepping down. Furstenau says she never aspired to be an elected official but is leaving her role as leader of the province's third party feeling a great sense of accomplishment 

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence
The Dutch Supreme Court has rejected online extortionist Aydin Coban's bid to scrap his Canadian sentence for tormenting B.C. teenager Amada Todd.  Coban is a Dutch national who was extradited, tried and given a 13-year sentence in B.C., before being sent back to the Netherlands where he was already serving time for separate offences.

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast
A winter storm warning remains in effect for part of B-C's North Coast. The bulletin from Environment Canada spans the Stewart area, north of Prince Rupert, and says heavy snow is expected through Wednesday morning.

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say
For more than a decade, Wisconsin native Douglas Cowgill has helped Americans in Canada navigate the complex task of renouncing their U.S. citizenship, cutting themselves loose from that nation's Internal Revenue Service in the process. But it was only in 2023 that Cowgill — a dual citizen at the time with a Canadian wife and family — took the plunge himself.

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings
The proposed $32.5-billion settlement between the companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — and their creditors received unanimous support from those creditors in a vote last month and must now obtain the court’s approval.

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik
One of the admitted hitmen who killed former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik is set to be sentenced for his part in the murder today in a New Westminster, B.C., courtroom. Tanner Fox and accomplice Jose Lopez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last October, with Fox scheduled to be sentenced today, and Lopez due back in court on Friday. 

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik