Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism
The notion that "never again" can the world allow something like the Holocaust to happen feels like it is slipping away, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk both said Tuesday. The two leaders met in Warsaw a day after they joined dozens of other world leaders to mark the 80th anniversary of the liberation of the notorious Nazi death camp Auschwitz.

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election
Ford has said he is calling the snap election starting Wednesday because he needs a new mandate to deal with U.S. President Donald Trump, including his threat of imposing 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods, possibly starting Feb. 1.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.
A 21-year-old snowboarder who went missing last week at the Cypress Mountain Resort near Vancouver has been found dead in a gully.  West Vancouver Police say in a statement the snowboarder from Richmond, B.C., was reported missing Friday at about 10:45 a.m.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report
In her final report released Tuesday, inquiry Commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue concludes that while the threat of foreign interference is real, Canada's democratic institutions have held up well against the dangers.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van
Police have reopened a bridge across Okanagan Lake in the B.C. Interior after an explosives scare that shut it down for about 11 hours. Officers say the incident began early Monday morning when a man parked a white panel van across multiple lanes of the William R. Bennett Bridge and posted online remarks about the contents.

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis
Police in Kelowna say the William Bennet Bridge has reopened after an overnight closure that was prompted by a call about a person in crisis. RCMP say officers had responded at about 3:45 a-m, finding the person had parked a vehicle across the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis