Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Crash lands 2 children in hospital

Crash lands 2 children in hospital
Police in Whitehorse say two children are in hospital after a single-vehicle crash on Tuesday. R-C-M-P, the fire department, and emergency services responded to a crash involving one vehicle that hit the children while they were on bicycles.

Crash lands 2 children in hospital

Walmart Canada says underweight meat problem fixed by B.C. supplier

Walmart Canada says underweight meat problem fixed by B.C. supplier
Walmart, Sobeys and Loblaw Companies were hit with a class-action lawsuit last week alleging they "misrepresented" the weight of meat by including the weight of packaging in prices. Walmart Canada says in an emailed statement that a third-party supplier was responsible for an "isolated incident" at the Richmond store for a two-week period last month.

Walmart Canada says underweight meat problem fixed by B.C. supplier

'Water's away': How Canadian helicopters and waterbombers are helping tame L.A. fires

'Water's away': How Canadian helicopters and waterbombers are helping tame L.A. fires
British Columbia-based Coulson Aviation released the video of its crew "delivering a precision water drop on the Palisades Fire in California."  Coulson's helicopters as well as waterbombing planes provided by Quebec have played a high-profile role in the battle against the fires that have claimed at least 25 lives and destroyed thousands of homes.

'Water's away': How Canadian helicopters and waterbombers are helping tame L.A. fires

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector
B.C.'s Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says U.S. softwood lumber duties and president-elect Donald Trump's threatened tariffs could be "devastating" to the province's forestry sector. He says the province needs to bring a "team B.C. and a team Canada" approach to fighting the duties.

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is welcoming news of a ceasefire deal to pause the 15-month war in the Gaza Strip. He says he hopes the deal will "turn down the temperature" on tensions in Canada and rebuild strained relationships between people affected by the war.

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak
British Columbia ostrich farmers ordered to cull a herd of 400 due to an avian flu outbreak are holding onto hope that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency will change its mind before their kill date in just over two weeks.  The federal agency sent Universal Ostrich Farms Inc. a notice on Dec. 31 instructing their ostriches to be destroyed and disposed of by Feb. 1, but the owners are asking for more time to prove their farm should be spared. 

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak