Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet
The BC government has released Premier David Eby's mandate letters for his new cabinet, outlining priorities for each ministry. Almost every minister has instructions to grow the economy and "reduce costs for families."

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report
The federal government spent more on contracted information technology services in four federal departments in 2022-23 than it would have if the work had been done by public servants, the parliamentary budget officer found in a new analysis. A report from the PBO published Thursday said the federal government spent $18.6 billion on professional and special services in 2022-23, with $2.6 billion of that money going to IT.

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre
Federal Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he will reverse an increase on the capital gains tax introduced last June if his party forms the next government. Speaking in Tsawwassen today at the site of a housing development under construction, Poilievre says the Liberal governments changes in the capital gains tax changes have stunted job creation, while funding handouts to large businesses and corporations.

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre

Copper theft in Port Moody

Copper theft in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody are investigating after thieves made off with telephone wire from a pole. Police say the theft happened on January 13th, when officers were called to an area near Ioco Road and First Avenue at around 4 a.m.

Copper theft in Port Moody

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion
The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear an appeal from Indigenous elders who were seeking greater oversight over a university construction site in Montreal where they suspect unmarked graves of children are located. An application for leave to appeal was dismissed today by the country's highest court, which gave no reason for its decision, as is custom.

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions
A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time. Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions