Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman
Police on Vancouver Island are appealing to the public for information that could help them find a woman reported missing more than two years ago. R-C-M-P say they believe Amber Manthorne's disappearance in July 2022 was the result of foul play, and it's unlikely the 40-year-old will be found alive.

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record
Leaders of British Columbia's main political parties have converged on Vancouver Island in the final stage of campaigning before the provincial election on Saturday, with record numbers of voters already casting their ballots in advance polling. Elections BC says more than 181,000 people voted on Tuesday, breaking a record set on the first day of voting last week.

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults
The incident on Sunday is captured on video, showing a man in a grey suit berating supporters of Richmond Centre candidate Wendy Yuan while they were waving signs at an intersection. The man is seen swearing at the group and telling them to "take down" the Chinese Communist Party instead of "coming over here on your … little boats."

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister
Canada's border guards have recovered more stolen vehicles at railyards and ports so far this year than in all of 2023.  Transport Minister Anita Anand said the Canada Border Services Agency has recovered 1,945 stolen vehicles, with the majority found in Quebec.

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic
The Canada Revenue Agency says it has terminated 330 employees for inappropriately receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit during the pandemic, giving its final update on an internal review.

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating
Police say a man has been charged with aggravated assault and remains in custody after an unprovoked attack on a woman who was visiting Vancouver.  Vancouver police say the 35-year-old victim was walking near the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday when she was assaulted.

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating