Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Reduction in permit wait times for multiplex housing in Vancouver

Reduction in permit wait times for multiplex housing in Vancouver
Vancouver is planning to reduce the time it takes to get a building permit for certain multiplex applications. The city says a streamlined permit application process starting early next year will take about half the time.

Reduction in permit wait times for multiplex housing in Vancouver

Woman stabbed outside Whalley home

Woman stabbed outside Whalley home
Surrey R-C-M-P say they're looking for three young female suspects after a woman was stabbed outside a home in Whalley. Police say the woman didn't know the suspects, who are all believed to be between the ages of 15 and 20.

Woman stabbed outside Whalley home

Sikh groups calls for Indian consulates to be shut down in Vancouver, Toronto

Sikh groups calls for Indian consulates to be shut down in Vancouver, Toronto
Representatives of a British Columbia Sikh temple whose president was shot dead last year, as well as the Sikh independence group he was involved in, say their communities won't feel safe until India's consulates in Vancouver and Toronto are shut down.

Sikh groups calls for Indian consulates to be shut down in Vancouver, Toronto

Child dead after falling from 19th floor window in Winnipeg, police say

Child dead after falling from 19th floor window in Winnipeg, police say
Police in Winnipeg say a child has died after falling from a window on the 19th floor of a building. It happened Monday in the city's downtown. The child was taken to hospital and pronounced dead.

Child dead after falling from 19th floor window in Winnipeg, police say

Jump in home sales in September

Jump in home sales in September
The Canadian Real Estate Association says home sales climbed 1.9 per cent on a month-over-month basis in September, reaching their highest level since July 2023. The national increase was led by Greater Vancouver and Victoria, as well as the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton-Burlington, Montreal and Quebec City. 

Jump in home sales in September

Harpreet Singh gets 10 years in tripple stabbing

Harpreet Singh gets 10 years in tripple stabbing
Harpreet Singh has been sentenced to 10 years in prison -- minus the six-years in credit for time already served in custody -- for manslaughter and two counts of aggravated assault following the knife attack at a Surrey townhouse.

Harpreet Singh gets 10 years in tripple stabbing