Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian officials say meeting with U.S. commerce secretary was constructive

Canadian officials say meeting with U.S. commerce secretary was constructive
Canadian officials said a Thursday meeting with U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick was constructive and lowered temperatures amid the ongoing trade war launched by U.S. President Donald Trump last month — but they expected no immediate changes to punishing tariffs. 

Canadian officials say meeting with U.S. commerce secretary was constructive

Teen dies after car crashes into tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Teen dies after car crashes into tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park
Police in Vancouver say an 18-year-old man has died in an early morning car crash in Stanley Park. They say in a news release that the driver of a white BMW was travelling between Second and Third Beach in the park when he lost control and hit a tree just after 3 a.m.

Teen dies after car crashes into tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Here are the people making up Mark Carney's new Liberal cabinet

Here are the people making up Mark Carney's new Liberal cabinet
Prime Minister Mark Carney has named a 24-member cabinet, a team of ministers who will lead during the coming federal election campaign. Here's a list of ministers and their portfolios:

Here are the people making up Mark Carney's new Liberal cabinet

Joly says G7 leaders have 'strong unity' on defending Ukraine

Joly says G7 leaders have 'strong unity' on defending Ukraine
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said Friday that G7 countries have maintained their support for Ukraine, as she and her peers endorsed a U.S. proposal for a ceasefire in the Russia-Ukraine war and called for a "political horizon" for Palestinians.

Joly says G7 leaders have 'strong unity' on defending Ukraine

Mark Carney sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister

Mark Carney sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister
Mark Carney was sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister in a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Friday morning — along with a leaner Liberal cabinet that he said is focused on confronting the immediate threat of U.S. President Donald Trump and his tariffs. Breezing past reporters on his way into the ceremony about an hour after Justin Trudeau stepped down, Carney said his team was ready to go.

Mark Carney sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister

Media outlets start receiving Google payments from Online News Act: journalism group

Media outlets start receiving Google payments from Online News Act: journalism group
Money has started to flow to Canadian news outlets from the $100 million Google agreed to pay them in exchange for an exemption from the Online News Act, the organization administering the fund said. The Canadian Journalism Collective announced Thursday that the first portion of cash sent to eligible news businesses amounted to $17.25 million, with additional payments slated to be transferred by the end of April.

Media outlets start receiving Google payments from Online News Act: journalism group