Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says he's 'proud of Canadians' in video posted on his last day in office

Trudeau says he's 'proud of Canadians' in video posted on his last day in office
Liberal Leader Mark Carney will be sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister at a ceremony at Rideau Hall Friday after Trudeau's formal resignation. Carney became Liberal leader on Sunday at the party's leadership convention.

Trudeau says he's 'proud of Canadians' in video posted on his last day in office

'Several critical safety failures' behind B.C. workers death, WorkSafeBC says

'Several critical safety failures' behind B.C. workers death, WorkSafeBC says
WorkSafeBC says a worker killed in Vancouver last year when a mould used for concrete fell 26 storeys should never have been able to stand where she was. The report released by the province's worker safety agency says "several critical safety failures" are to blame for the death of the woman at the Oakridge Park development site in February of 2024. 

'Several critical safety failures' behind B.C. workers death, WorkSafeBC says

B.C. RCMP conduct hearing delayed over disclosure issues, possible publication ban

B.C. RCMP conduct hearing delayed over disclosure issues, possible publication ban
An RCMP code of conduct hearing that could see three Mounties from Coquitlam, B.C., lose their jobs has been delayed until Thursday over disclosure issues and a possible publication ban.  The hearing in Surrey was to begin with the testimony of a female officer who lawyers for the conduct hearing said would testify that Const. Ian Solven "outright lied" during his testimony at the hearing earlier this week. 

B.C. RCMP conduct hearing delayed over disclosure issues, possible publication ban

Canadian mayors, workers worry about 'permanent damage' from Trump tariffs

Canadian mayors, workers worry about 'permanent damage' from Trump tariffs
Canadian mayors, workers and industry representatives are warning that the Trump administration's punishing tariffs on steel and aluminum could cost jobs and cause lasting damage to industries on both sides of the border.  They say Canada is already starting to see the effects of the tariffs, with a drop in demand from some American customers, and they're hopeful for a change of heart from the White House as the effects of the policy hit home. 

Canadian mayors, workers worry about 'permanent damage' from Trump tariffs

'Motorcyclist's unfortunate decision' not the fault of Vancouver police: watchdog

'Motorcyclist's unfortunate decision' not the fault of Vancouver police: watchdog
B.C.'s police watchdog has cleared Vancouver officers in relation to the death of a motorcyclist that occurred shortly after a chase had stopped.  The Independent Investigations Office says police tried to conduct a traffic stop on Nov. 6 last year because a motorcycle didn't have a license plate. 

'Motorcyclist's unfortunate decision' not the fault of Vancouver police: watchdog

Multi-vehicle crash shuts Highway 99 south of Whistler

Multi-vehicle crash shuts Highway 99 south of Whistler
A multi-vehicle crash has shut down the Sea-to-Sky Highway in both directions on the way to Whistler. RCMP say poor weather is contributing to the road conditions and drivers are being asked to avoid the area. 10 have been injured and 2 are in critical condition. 

Multi-vehicle crash shuts Highway 99 south of Whistler