Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:51 AM
  • Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Doctors who were thrust into national fame when COVID-19 hit five years ago say they try to focus on positive feedback from the public rather than the angry backlash and threats of violence they faced. 

British Columbia public health chief Dr. Bonnie Henry still has a security detail to this day because of threats against her and her family from people angry about lockdowns or opposed to COVID vaccination. 

Henry says some people were lashing out in a time of crisis and many believed widespread vaccine disinformation — but she continued to emphasize the importance of kindness and getting through the pandemic together. 

University of Alberta infectious diseases specialist Dr. Lynora Saxinger says she keeps Thank You letters and cards from people grateful for her guidance during the pandemic as an antidote to hateful emails or social media posts.  

Nova Scotia chief medical officer Dr. Robert Strang says his family was threatened, but the vast majority of people he interacted with online or in-person were kind and thankful.  

All three doctors say they've learned it's important to communicate clearly to build trust — including explaining how decisions and advice can change during a public health crisis as new scientific evidence becomes available. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP
R-C-M-P officers in the central Okanagan will soon start wearing body cameras. The acting officer in charge of the detachment based in Kelowna says they are among the first in B-C to deploy the equipment that will be the national standard

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet
The BC government has released Premier David Eby's mandate letters for his new cabinet, outlining priorities for each ministry. Almost every minister has instructions to grow the economy and "reduce costs for families."

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report
The federal government spent more on contracted information technology services in four federal departments in 2022-23 than it would have if the work had been done by public servants, the parliamentary budget officer found in a new analysis. A report from the PBO published Thursday said the federal government spent $18.6 billion on professional and special services in 2022-23, with $2.6 billion of that money going to IT.

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre
Federal Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he will reverse an increase on the capital gains tax introduced last June if his party forms the next government. Speaking in Tsawwassen today at the site of a housing development under construction, Poilievre says the Liberal governments changes in the capital gains tax changes have stunted job creation, while funding handouts to large businesses and corporations.

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre

Copper theft in Port Moody

Copper theft in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody are investigating after thieves made off with telephone wire from a pole. Police say the theft happened on January 13th, when officers were called to an area near Ioco Road and First Avenue at around 4 a.m.

Copper theft in Port Moody

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion
The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear an appeal from Indigenous elders who were seeking greater oversight over a university construction site in Montreal where they suspect unmarked graves of children are located. An application for leave to appeal was dismissed today by the country's highest court, which gave no reason for its decision, as is custom.

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion