Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Documents show push to block unvaccinated from EI

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Apr, 2022 05:16 PM
  • Documents show push to block unvaccinated from EI

OTTAWA - Internal government documents show that the Liberals' pledge to prevent unvaccinated people from accessing jobless benefits didn't eliminate all avenues for them to enter the employment insurance system.

The briefing notes prepared for Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough say that unvaccinated workers could qualify for EI sickness benefits, even if they are sick with COVID-19.

The laws guiding the social safety net program don't have any explicit rules around eligibility for EI for anyone who refused to get vaccinated.

While Qualtrough was told the government could put rules around regular jobless benefits, officials suggested the same couldn't be said of sickness benefits.

Documents prepared by Qualtrough's department last fall suggest officials advised against preventing access to sickness benefits and removing an incentive for ill workers to stay home with symptoms.

The documents show that officials argued against blocking access to the sickness benefit, saying it was "arguably even more" important for the unvaccinated to receive the support so they could isolate after a positive test and not have an incentive to go into work.

The details are contained in documents obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act that outline some of the moves inside government as officials readied for a wave of layoffs for workers who refused to get vaccinated.

One document developed by Employment and Social Development Canada in the fall noted that workers quitting, being fired or suspended without pay if they opted against getting vaccinated could "bring into question eligibility for income supports" like EI and a suite of recovery benefits.

The government ultimately decided to prevent workers who weren't vaccinated from receiving EI, though it set some parameters for employers to follow, including having a clear vaccination policy and steps to take prior to termination.

Officials blacked out large portions of the documents because they contain policy and legal advice.

As the records note repeatedly, Service Canada has ultimately been reliant on employers accurately filling out forms to determine whether someone may have an avenue to regular EI benefits.

Qualtrough's department has yet to respond to questions posed to it earlier this week about the policy, including how many workers have been blocked from accessing EI regular benefits.

The law guiding the EI system does say that a worker can receive benefits if they lose a job through no fault of their own, but not if they decided to quit or were turfed because of misconduct.

Even in cases of misconduct, the EI law specifically says that a worker would still be entitled to the system's so-called special benefits including sickness, maternity and parental leave.

Officials noted that failure to comply with an employer's vaccination policy — and the documents suggest this would be the case for federal workers subject the government's mandate — wouldn't disentitle someone from sickness benefits.

"The EI Act does not deny access to sickness benefits in circumstances where individuals knowingly expose themselves to risk, so individuals who choose not to be vaccinated would still be able to access EI sickness benefits if they fall ill with COVID-19," reads one part of a briefing note to Qualtrough.

The briefing note went on to say that the same concept applied to the soon-to-be-defunct Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit that pays out $450 after tax to anyone who has to isolate. That benefit is set to expire on May 7.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts
Justice Minister David Lametti says he will appoint a special interlocutor to work with Indigenous communities and the government to propose changes to federal laws, policies and practices that are related to unmarked graves at residential schools.

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says
In a report published this morning, budget officer Yves Giroux says Ottawa topped up expenditures on its national housing strategy by nearly one quarter for an average of $3.7 billion annually over the past three years.

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition
Today's arguments are expected to be the last before the actual extradition hearing in Meng's case begins in the B.C. Supreme Court later this week.

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There were 422 new cases from Friday to Saturday, marking the third day in a row that case counts topped 400. From Saturday to Sunday, there were 364 cases, while 293 cases were reported from Sunday to Monday.

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, children 12 and under will be able to “Get on Board” any BC Transit or TransLink service for free as part of the provincial government’s commitment to efficient, reliable and affordable transit for families.    

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit