Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Double blow as S&P and Moody's downgrade B.C.'s credit rating again, citing deficit

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Apr, 2025 10:59 AM
  • Double blow as S&P and Moody's downgrade B.C.'s credit rating again, citing deficit

Credit rating agencies S&P and Moody's have both downgraded British Columbia's rating on the same day, citingthe province's ballooning deficit and the apparent lack of a plan to dig the province out of its fiscal hole.

S&P Global Ratings cut the province's long-term issuer creditrating to A+ from AA- on Wednesday, while Moody's Ratings downgraded its key baseline assessment to aa2 from aa1.

Moody's said in a news release that its downgrade reflected a "structural deterioration in British Columbia's credit profile" and it predicted this year's deficit would soar to $14.3 billion.

That's more than 31 per cent higher than the forecast in Finance Minister Brenda Bailey's budget last month, and 57 per cent higher than the most recent estimate of last year's deficit.

Moody's said its credit outlook for B.C. remained negative with no "clear visibility" on how the province would balance its finances.

"The uncertain trade environment with potential further negative implications on the provincial economy and fiscal position adds further risks to British Columbia's credit profile," Moody's said.

A lower credit rating can make it harder for a government to secure loans and attract investment, and can force it to offer higher rates on its bonds.

S&P said there was a "fiscal mismatch" in the government's operations, blaming its fourth downgrade in four years on "considerable" deficits and rapid debt accumulation continuing through to the 2028 fiscal year. 

It also cited the apparent lack of a strategy to scale down the deficit.

"A lack of a credible medium-term plan outlining how the province will tackle its structural budgetary shortfall could cause us to weaken our financial management assessment, potentially leading to a lower issuer credit rating," it said.

S&P said it retained a negative outlook for B.C.'s finances, reflecting a one-in-three chance of a further downgrade in the next two years if the province's "commitment to fiscal consolidation continues to waver."

Bailey told reporters in the legislature that the government had known there was a "strong likelihood" of the downgrades given the "complex circumstance" posed by the Canada-U. S. trade war.

She said Moody's noted that B.C.'s economy "remains strong and resilient and diversified."

But the agency squarely blamed the deterioration of the deficit on Premier David Eby's NDP government.

"The increase in deficits and rising debt largely stems from provincial policy choices, which we view as evidence of a continued weakening in governance and fiscal and debt management, from high standings," Moody's said.

"We view this as a notable departure from the province's historical approach of budgeting that focused on limiting the growth in debt or protecting its fiscal position."

Asked about both ratings agencies' complaint about the apparent lack of a plan to balance B.C.'s books, Bailey said the budget "has us getting started" on that target. 

"We're approaching this work with the very specific goal of protecting core services for British Columbians," she said.

Opposition Leader John Rustad of the B.C. Conservatives said the downgrades were "a direct consequence of reckless spending and economic mismanagement by David Eby."

“British Columbians are paying more and getting less. Now, we’re paying the price with a weaker credit rating, which means higher borrowing costs for our province," he said in a statement.

Bailey's budget had forecast a record deficit of $10.9 billion this fiscal year, while the end of B.C.'s consumer carbon tax on Tuesday is poised see the deficit continue to grow, something noted by Moody's.

S&P also cut B.C.'s short-term rating to A-1 from A-1+, while Moody's downgraded its long-term issuer and senior unsecured debt ratings to Aa1 from Aaa.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 2, 2025.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in child pornography

Man charged in child pornography
Police in New Westminster say a 45-year-old man has been charged with one count of possession of child pornography.  They say in a statement that the man was arrested last July and he's since been released from custody with several "strict" court-ordered conditions. 

Man charged in child pornography

Wind warning for B.C.'s south coast with gusts up to 90 km/h expected overnight

Wind warning for B.C.'s south coast with gusts up to 90 km/h expected overnight
Coastal British Columbia will see strong winds overnight with gusts that could reach speeds of between 90 and 110 kilometres per hour.  Warnings from Environment Canada span the Greater Victoria area, the southern Gulf Islands, eastern Vancouver Island, southern parts of Metro Vancouver and Haida Gwaii.

Wind warning for B.C.'s south coast with gusts up to 90 km/h expected overnight

New regulations allow Canada Post to ship prohibited firearms returned in gun buyback

New regulations allow Canada Post to ship prohibited firearms returned in gun buyback
The federal government is giving Canada Post the ability to store and transport prohibited firearms in new regulations that bring the retail gun buyback program one step closer to beginning. An order-in-council dated Oct. 16 allows for prohibited assault-style firearms to be removed from safes at firearms retailers, transported and ultimately destroyed. 

New regulations allow Canada Post to ship prohibited firearms returned in gun buyback

Joly faces calls for probe in death of woman Canada refused to repatriate from Syria

Joly faces calls for probe in death of woman Canada refused to repatriate from Syria
Advocates want Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly to call an impartial investigation into the death of a Canadian woman the federal government refused to repatriate from a Syrian detention camp. In a letter to Joly, Sen. Kim Pate and human rights activist Alex Neve say the Quebec woman died unexpectedly just over a week ago in Turkey.

Joly faces calls for probe in death of woman Canada refused to repatriate from Syria

Canadian consensus on immigration under threat, but not gone: immigration minister

Canadian consensus on immigration under threat, but not gone: immigration minister
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Canada's long-held consensus on immigration is under threat, but has not disappeared. On Thursday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced plans to slash Canada's immigration targets by 20 per cent next year and admitted his government did not get the balance right after the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Canadian consensus on immigration under threat, but not gone: immigration minister

Majority of Canadians would vote for Kamala Harris in U.S. election: poll

Majority of Canadians would vote for Kamala Harris in U.S. election: poll
If Canadians could vote in the U.S. election, a majority would choose to send Kamala Harris to the White House. In a new survey from polling firm Leger, 64 per cent of Canadian respondents said if they could cast a ballot, they’d put their support behind vice-president Harris while 21 per cent would support former president Donald Trump. Fifteen per cent weren't sure what they would do. 

Majority of Canadians would vote for Kamala Harris in U.S. election: poll