Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jul, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan
SUMMERLAND, B.C. — Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.
 
 
The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen declared a state of local emergency and issued two evacuation orders overnight for a total of 43 properties, several campgrounds and a provincial park along Highway 97 between Summerland and Peachland.
 
 
Those orders are in addition to evacuations issued Wednesday by the Central Okanagan Regional District for properties just north of that area along the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Peachland.
 
 
The BC Wildfire Service says the lightning-caused Mount Eneas wildfire has scorched about two-square kilometres of bush in steep terrain about four kilometres south of Peachland.
 
 
Evacuees are being directed to reception centres in West Kelowna and Penticton and Drive BC says although Highway 97 was closed by the fire overnight, the route has reopened to single lane alternating traffic, with an RCMP escort.
 
 
An evacuation alert is also posted for a second wildfire, the Good Creek blaze, estimated at about two-square kilometres, burning across Okanagan Lake, in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park just outside the southern limits of the City of Kelowna.
 
 
The wildfire service said Wednesday that almost three dozen new fires had been sparked following a powerful storm and nearly 1,000 lightning strikes.
 
 
In all, the wildfire service lists 11 blazes of note, with nine, including the Mount Eneas and Good Creek fires, in the Kamloops Fire Centre and two in the Prince George Fire Centre, including an 80-hectare fire northwest of Vanderhoof that has prompted an evacuation alert.

MORE National ARTICLES

British Columbia Is Getting A New Area Code 672 Starting Next Year

British Columbia Is Getting A New Area Code 672 Starting Next Year
Canada's telecommunications regulator has announced British Columbia is getting a new 672 area code.

British Columbia Is Getting A New Area Code 672 Starting Next Year

Canadian Parents Allow Infants And Toddlers Too Much Screen Time

Canadian Parents Allow Infants And Toddlers Too Much Screen Time
A new study of Vancouver parents finds the majority are ignoring Canadian Pediatric Society recommendations that young children not be allowed any access to electronic devices likes smartphones or tablets.

Canadian Parents Allow Infants And Toddlers Too Much Screen Time

Political Manoeuvres Over Pipeline In B.C., Payback Or Coincidence?

Political Manoeuvres Over Pipeline In B.C., Payback Or Coincidence?
VICTORIA — Political hurdles in the form of delays, bans and tolls have been raised in British Columbia in the weeks since the province served notice that it would temporarily ban expanded shipments of bitumen on the Trans Mountain pipeline.

Political Manoeuvres Over Pipeline In B.C., Payback Or Coincidence?

Canada To Rejoin NATO AWACS Program, Defence Minister Confirms

  Speaking in a conference call from Brussels after a series of meetings with NATO ministers, Sajjan says the so-called AWACS program is important and that the previous government pulled out needlessly.

Canada To Rejoin NATO AWACS Program, Defence Minister Confirms

Home Sales Fall Across Canada To Reach Their Lowest Level In 3 Years: CREA

Home Sales Fall Across Canada To Reach Their Lowest Level In 3 Years: CREA
Canadian home sales fell 14.5 per cent between December and January, marking the lowest sales level in three years as the housing market was hit last month by a double whammy of tighter mortgage rules and lending rate hikes.

Home Sales Fall Across Canada To Reach Their Lowest Level In 3 Years: CREA

Plan For Reform To Medical Inadmissibility Policy Coming In April: Ahmed Hussen

Plan For Reform To Medical Inadmissibility Policy Coming In April: Ahmed Hussen
OTTAWA — Next steps for Canada's policy on taking medical conditions into account when accepting or rejecting permanent residents will be laid out by mid-April, Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said Thursday.

Plan For Reform To Medical Inadmissibility Policy Coming In April: Ahmed Hussen