Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jul, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan
SUMMERLAND, B.C. — Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.
 
 
The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen declared a state of local emergency and issued two evacuation orders overnight for a total of 43 properties, several campgrounds and a provincial park along Highway 97 between Summerland and Peachland.
 
 
Those orders are in addition to evacuations issued Wednesday by the Central Okanagan Regional District for properties just north of that area along the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Peachland.
 
 
The BC Wildfire Service says the lightning-caused Mount Eneas wildfire has scorched about two-square kilometres of bush in steep terrain about four kilometres south of Peachland.
 
 
Evacuees are being directed to reception centres in West Kelowna and Penticton and Drive BC says although Highway 97 was closed by the fire overnight, the route has reopened to single lane alternating traffic, with an RCMP escort.
 
 
An evacuation alert is also posted for a second wildfire, the Good Creek blaze, estimated at about two-square kilometres, burning across Okanagan Lake, in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park just outside the southern limits of the City of Kelowna.
 
 
The wildfire service said Wednesday that almost three dozen new fires had been sparked following a powerful storm and nearly 1,000 lightning strikes.
 
 
In all, the wildfire service lists 11 blazes of note, with nine, including the Mount Eneas and Good Creek fires, in the Kamloops Fire Centre and two in the Prince George Fire Centre, including an 80-hectare fire northwest of Vanderhoof that has prompted an evacuation alert.

MORE National ARTICLES

PICS: Sikh Riders Of Canada Club Donates $10,000 To Kids Play

PICS: Sikh Riders Of Canada Club Donates $10,000 To Kids Play
At a recent formal dinner, the Sikh Riders of Canada Club donated $10,000 to Kids Play, a non profit organization working towards keeping kids away from the lifestyle of drugs, gangs, and violence. 

PICS: Sikh Riders Of Canada Club Donates $10,000 To Kids Play

WATCH: Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Flips Coin To Decide On Posting Of Lecturers

WATCH: Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Flips Coin To Decide On Posting Of Lecturers
In order to resolve the issue of posting the lecturers, Punjab Technical Education Minister Charanjit Singh Channi decided to toss a coin.

WATCH: Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Flips Coin To Decide On Posting Of Lecturers

Vancouver Police Say Increased Patrols Making A Difference In Downtown Eastside

Vancouver Police Say Increased Patrols Making A Difference In Downtown Eastside
There has been a noticeable decrease in street disorder and violent crime in the Downtown Eastside since Vancouver Police began a new safety initiative in the area on January 28. 

Vancouver Police Say Increased Patrols Making A Difference In Downtown Eastside

Coquitlam Police Seeking Witnesses To An Interrupted Break And Enter To A Home

Coquitlam Police Seeking Witnesses To An Interrupted Break And Enter To A Home
Coquitlam –On Friday, February 9th, at 8:23 p.m. the Coquitlam RCMP were called to a home in the 600 block of Poirier St. for a report of an interrupted break and enter.

Coquitlam Police Seeking Witnesses To An Interrupted Break And Enter To A Home

Spousal Sponsorship Process Now Moving Faster: Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen

Spousal Sponsorship Process Now Moving Faster: Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen
OTTAWA — Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen says the government has met its goal of shortening wait times for those hoping to sponsor their spouse from abroad. 

Spousal Sponsorship Process Now Moving Faster: Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen

Canadian Rockers Hedley Says Sexual Misconduct Claims Are 'Unsubstantiated'

Canadian Rockers Hedley Says Sexual Misconduct Claims Are 'Unsubstantiated'
The band has posted a message on Facebook to address claims of sexual misconduct involving young fans that emerged on Twitter in recent days.

Canadian Rockers Hedley Says Sexual Misconduct Claims Are 'Unsubstantiated'