Thursday, August 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Extreme weather likely to continue: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Jul, 2021 10:04 AM
  • Extreme weather likely to continue: Wilkinson

Canada's environment minister says extreme weather conditions across the country should be a wake-up call for people resisting taking action against climate change.

Wildfires are raging out of control, forcing residents out of their homes, in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

A state of emergency goes into effect in B.C. on Wednesday to prepare for potential mass evacuations as nearly 300 fires burned across that province and threatened communities. Two people died in the village of Lytton, B.C., earlier this month after much of the community was destroyed by fire.

Farmers in the Prairies are also suffering from severe drought conditions, while weather alerts are in effect across Western Canada due to a dense cloud of smoke.

"I think the events that we're seeing this summer are probably underlying that even more for Canadians," Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Tuesday in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"The tragic event in Lytton, I think, was quite shocking for many people ... certainly the forest fires, but also the flooding that we've seen in the last number of years."

Wilkinson was in Calgary to announce a mitigation plan related to the 2013 floods in southern Alberta that led to five deaths and billions of dollars in damage.

He said all of the data suggests the extreme weather won't be improving in the future.

"I think people are starting to understand that it's even more proximate to them, that the impacts of climate change are with us already," he said.

"We need to take action to make sure we're not making the problem worse but, of course, we're also going to need to learn to adapt to the changes that are with us already."

Wilkinson, who grew up in Saskatchewan and now serves as the MP for North Vancouver, said he understands why some people still fight against taking action on climate change.

He said, however, that it's a reality that extreme weather events will be more frequent and more intense in the future.

Wilkinson said the time to take action is now.

"I think it's an opportunity to come together as Canadians and to double down in terms of being part of what has to be an international consensus and international solution," he said.

"I think it is the defining issue of our generation and certainly of our children, and I think that Canada has an opportunity to play an important role."

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver plans tax hikes over COVID revenue loss

Vancouver plans tax hikes over COVID revenue loss
The draft operating budget for 2021 is $1.6 billion, $17 million less than the original planned budget.

Vancouver plans tax hikes over COVID revenue loss

Vancouver Police responds to an incident at an elementary school

Vancouver Police responds to an incident at an elementary school
The principal of the school called 9-1-1 at about 10 a.m. to report that a man, unknown to the school, entered the school and walked into a classroom

Vancouver Police responds to an incident at an elementary school

B.C. court hears closing arguments in 1983 murder

B.C. court hears closing arguments in 1983 murder
Phillip Tallio pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of his 22-month-old cousin in 1983 but testified last month that he did not understand what that meant.

B.C. court hears closing arguments in 1983 murder

Meng could have been arrested on jetway: Mountie

Meng could have been arrested on jetway: Mountie
Const. Gurvinder Dhaliwal was in charge of documenting and securing anything seized from Meng in 2018 during the arrest, which put a chill on Canada's relations with China.

Meng could have been arrested on jetway: Mountie

Keystone XL 'not the same' as 2015 project: envoy

Keystone XL 'not the same' as 2015 project: envoy
President-elect Joe Biden has named Kerry, formerly Barack Obama's secretary of state, as a high-powered special adviser on climate change.

Keystone XL 'not the same' as 2015 project: envoy

Appeal Court rules against triple murderer

Appeal Court rules against triple murderer
Derek Saretzky's lawyer argued his client's first-degree murder conviction in the death of Hanne Meketech in 2015 should be overturned because Saretzky's rights were breached when police improperly took his confession.

Appeal Court rules against triple murderer