Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Father Charged With Second-degree Murder In B.C. Sisters' Deaths

The Canadian Press, 04 Jan, 2018 12:30 PM
    OAK BAY, B.C. — The father of two girls who were found dead in a Victoria-area home on Christmas Day has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.
     
     
    Andrew Berry, 43, was arrested and charged after he was released from hospital, RCMP said in a release on Wednesday.
     
     
     
    Police have said they were called to a residence in Oak Bay on the evening of Dec. 25 where officers discovered the bodies of two children inside.
     
     
    They also said an injured man, whose condition was not disclosed, was found inside the home and taken to hospital.
     
     
    A friend and a family member have identified the girls as Chloe Berry, 6, and her sister Aubrey Berry, 4.
     
     
    Trisha Lees, who was acting as a spokeswoman for the family, has said the children's mother notified police when her former common-law spouse hadn't returned the girls as scheduled.
     
     
    Lees declined to comment on the charges.
     
     
    At a candle-light vigil for the girls on Saturday, Ricky de Souza, the principal of St. Christopher's Montessori School where Aubrey attended, said the girl's death leaves a hole in the school
     
     
    He said the four-year-old was a kind and gentle person who was the angel Gabriel in the School's recent Christmas nativity performance.
     
     
    Stuart Hall, Christ Church Cathedral School principal, said Chloe was a peacemaker at their school and was always the first person to offer help to her classmates.
     
     
    "Chloe has left us all wounded,'' he said of her death.
     
     
    Oak Bay's acting mayor, Hazel Braithwaite, told the ceremony that the deaths have taken a toll on the entire community.
     
     
    "We have all been shaken by this tragic event,'' she said.
     
     
    A decision from the B.C. Supreme Court shows Berry and his estranged common-law wife had a dispute over custody of the girls.
     
     
    Court documents show the girls' mother, Sarah Cotton, was concerned about their father's parenting abilities.
     
     
    The documents say Berry wanted to split custody of the girls evenly with their mother.
     
     
    Instead, in a decision last May, the court granted Cotton more parenting time because of her flexible work schedule and because she had been the girls' primary caregiver for most of their lives.
     
     
    Bernard Richard, British Columbia's child and youth representative, said last week that his office has started gathering documents, but it's too early to say whether they will launch a formal investigation into the case.
     
     
    Police said on Wednesday the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit continues to investigate the deaths.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Health Canada Expands Fire Extinguisher Recall Involving 2.7 Million Devices

    Health Canada Expands Fire Extinguisher Recall Involving 2.7 Million Devices
    The Canadian government is expanding a recall of Kidde and Garrison brand fire extinguishers to cover some 2.7 million of the devices in Canada, including some that date back more than 40 years.

    Health Canada Expands Fire Extinguisher Recall Involving 2.7 Million Devices

    Ontario Girl, 11, Hospitalized After Eating Halloween Candy That Contained Metal Object

    Ontario Girl, 11, Hospitalized After Eating Halloween Candy That Contained Metal Object
    Waterloo regional police say the girl, from the Cambridge, Ont.-area, ate a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup that contained the metal piece, the source of which remains under investigation.

    Ontario Girl, 11, Hospitalized After Eating Halloween Candy That Contained Metal Object

    Winter Is Here: More Snow Coming To Metro Vancouver This Weekend

    Winter Is Here: More Snow Coming To Metro Vancouver This Weekend
    Environment Canada has issued a new special weather statement for Metro Vancouver on Friday morning, telling people that more snow is expected on Saturday.

    Winter Is Here: More Snow Coming To Metro Vancouver This Weekend

    Dalhousie Student Union Says Women Of Colour Are Under Attack, Issues 10 Demands

    Dalhousie Student Union Says Women Of Colour Are Under Attack, Issues 10 Demands
    Masuma Khan, a Muslim student leader who wears a hijab, and Kati George-Jim, an Indigenous student and member of Dalhousie's board of governors, have both been involved in high-profile disputes with the university's administration.

    Dalhousie Student Union Says Women Of Colour Are Under Attack, Issues 10 Demands

    Canada To Admit 340,000 Immigrants A Year By 2020 Under New Three-Year Plan

    Canada To Admit 340,000 Immigrants A Year By 2020 Under New Three-Year Plan
    OTTAWA — The federal government sought Wednesday to introduce more stability into Canada's immigration system by introducing a plan that sets out a gradual rise in admissions over the next three years.

    Canada To Admit 340,000 Immigrants A Year By 2020 Under New Three-Year Plan

    Ballet Victoria Cuts Ties With Choreographer Facing Nude Photo Allegations

    Ballet Victoria Cuts Ties With Choreographer Facing Nude Photo Allegations
    VANCOUVER — Ballet Victoria has cut ties with a choreographer after renewed media attention to allegations that he took nude photographs of underage dancers in the 1980s and 1990s.

    Ballet Victoria Cuts Ties With Choreographer Facing Nude Photo Allegations