Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Father Charged With Second-degree Murder In B.C. Sisters' Deaths

The Canadian Press, 04 Jan, 2018 12:30 PM
    OAK BAY, B.C. — The father of two girls who were found dead in a Victoria-area home on Christmas Day has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.
     
     
    Andrew Berry, 43, was arrested and charged after he was released from hospital, RCMP said in a release on Wednesday.
     
     
     
    Police have said they were called to a residence in Oak Bay on the evening of Dec. 25 where officers discovered the bodies of two children inside.
     
     
    They also said an injured man, whose condition was not disclosed, was found inside the home and taken to hospital.
     
     
    A friend and a family member have identified the girls as Chloe Berry, 6, and her sister Aubrey Berry, 4.
     
     
    Trisha Lees, who was acting as a spokeswoman for the family, has said the children's mother notified police when her former common-law spouse hadn't returned the girls as scheduled.
     
     
    Lees declined to comment on the charges.
     
     
    At a candle-light vigil for the girls on Saturday, Ricky de Souza, the principal of St. Christopher's Montessori School where Aubrey attended, said the girl's death leaves a hole in the school
     
     
    He said the four-year-old was a kind and gentle person who was the angel Gabriel in the School's recent Christmas nativity performance.
     
     
    Stuart Hall, Christ Church Cathedral School principal, said Chloe was a peacemaker at their school and was always the first person to offer help to her classmates.
     
     
    "Chloe has left us all wounded,'' he said of her death.
     
     
    Oak Bay's acting mayor, Hazel Braithwaite, told the ceremony that the deaths have taken a toll on the entire community.
     
     
    "We have all been shaken by this tragic event,'' she said.
     
     
    A decision from the B.C. Supreme Court shows Berry and his estranged common-law wife had a dispute over custody of the girls.
     
     
    Court documents show the girls' mother, Sarah Cotton, was concerned about their father's parenting abilities.
     
     
    The documents say Berry wanted to split custody of the girls evenly with their mother.
     
     
    Instead, in a decision last May, the court granted Cotton more parenting time because of her flexible work schedule and because she had been the girls' primary caregiver for most of their lives.
     
     
    Bernard Richard, British Columbia's child and youth representative, said last week that his office has started gathering documents, but it's too early to say whether they will launch a formal investigation into the case.
     
     
    Police said on Wednesday the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit continues to investigate the deaths.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ontario Police To Get New Tools To Search For Missing People

    TORONTO — Police in Ontario are on track to being given more tools when searching for missing people, such as the ability to track cellphones and enter homes in connection with the cases.

    Ontario Police To Get New Tools To Search For Missing People

    Marked RCMP Vehicle Collides With Van In Burnaby, B.C.

    Marked RCMP Vehicle Collides With Van In Burnaby, B.C.
    RCMP say one of its marked vehicles collided with a van in Burnaby on Tuesday night after officers shared a description of it after the driver allegedly drove over a grassed area and a curb.

    Marked RCMP Vehicle Collides With Van In Burnaby, B.C.

    'Recognise 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots As Genocide': Jagmeet Singh-Led Opposition Tells Canada Government

    'Recognise 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots As Genocide': Jagmeet Singh-Led Opposition Tells Canada Government
    NDP leader Jagmeet Singh, has asked the government to “recognise” the 1984 riots in India following the assassination of prime minister Indira Gandhi as “genocide”.

    'Recognise 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots As Genocide': Jagmeet Singh-Led Opposition Tells Canada Government

    Multiple Fatalities After Fiery 14-Vehicle Crash On Busy Ont. Highway

    Multiple Fatalities After Fiery 14-Vehicle Crash On Busy Ont. Highway
    Police openly expressed shock and dismay on Wednesday hours after a 14-vehicle collision on Highway 400 north of Toronto sent fireballs into the sky and rolling down the road.

    Multiple Fatalities After Fiery 14-Vehicle Crash On Busy Ont. Highway

    Number Of Foreign Homebuyers Up Slightly In Metro Vancouver

    Number Of Foreign Homebuyers Up Slightly In Metro Vancouver
     The latest property transfer data released by the British Columbia government shows the percentage of sales involving foreign nationals in Metro Vancouver inched up between April and September.

    Number Of Foreign Homebuyers Up Slightly In Metro Vancouver

    Justin Trudeau, Jagmeet Singh Offer Condolences In Wake Of New York City Terror Attack

    Justin Trudeau, Jagmeet Singh Offer Condolences In Wake Of New York City Terror Attack
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's "deeply grieved" by Tuesday's terrorist attack in New York City.

    Justin Trudeau, Jagmeet Singh Offer Condolences In Wake Of New York City Terror Attack