Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Edmonton police investigate extortions, arsons targeting South Asian community

Edmonton police investigate extortions, arsons targeting South Asian community
Police say they are investigating a string of extortions targeting businesspeople in the Edmonton area's South Asian community, in which properties have been torched and shot at. Police say they're investigating 27 events where suspects have demanded large sums of money.     

Edmonton police investigate extortions, arsons targeting South Asian community

Driver killed after car plunged from second floor of UBC parkade building

Driver killed after car plunged from second floor of UBC parkade building
Police have confirmed the driver of a car that plunged off the second floor of a multi-storey parkade building at the University of British Columbia was killed in the crash. RCMP say the male driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene Wednesday after his car crashed through a concrete wall and landed at ground level.    

Driver killed after car plunged from second floor of UBC parkade building

Body found in Chilliwack home

Body found in Chilliwack home
B-C's Integrated Homicide Investigation Unit says officers were deployed to a Chilliwack home yesterday after a 66-year-old woman was found dead. It says officers also found a 37-year old man suffering non-life-threatening injuries and a 68-year-old man was arrested at the scene.

Body found in Chilliwack home

All Vancouver, Fraser Valley schools shut for second day as winter weather persists

All Vancouver, Fraser Valley schools shut for second day as winter weather persists
All public schools in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley are shut for a second day, with more winter weather expected a day after a snowstorm caused havoc in southern British Columbia. Post-secondary institutions in the region such as the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University, the B.C. Institute of Technology and Kwantlen Polytechnic University have also cancelled all in-person classes again.

All Vancouver, Fraser Valley schools shut for second day as winter weather persists

Softwood spat due to housing shortage

Softwood spat due to housing shortage
Canada's international trade minister says the great North American softwood lumber standoff is putting a drag on the continent's already tight housing supply. Mary Ng says Ottawa will contest the U.S. International Trade Commission's latest decision to maintain "unjustified" duties on imports of Canadian softwood. 

Softwood spat due to housing shortage

Woman stabbed in Surrey

Woman stabbed in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey say they need help in finding a man who stabbed a woman. Police say the report came in last night of an attack on the woman by an unknown male.

Woman stabbed in Surrey