Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school
Police say they are investigating after a woman was found dead in front of a Calgary elementary school this morning. Officers were called to the school in the southwestern community of Strathcona around 7:40 a.m. 

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers
Mounties say a 34-year-old man has been found guilty of four charges after a hit-and-run crash that injured two police dog service officers in 2019. Police say Jason Kirupakaran was convicted of two counts each of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to stop after an accident causing bodily harm. 

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured
Police say four people are dead and one person is in hospital after a head-on crash on Highway 97 southeast of Kamloops, B.C., on Tuesday.  Vernon North Okanagan RCMP spokesman Chris Terleski says the collision occurred near the Monte Lake RV park around 9 a.m.  Police say the drivers of the vehicles were found dead at the scene along with two others, and one person was airlifted to hospital.   

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured

Hate crimes, protests, police costs surge since Middle East war: Vancouver police

Hate crimes, protests, police costs surge since Middle East war: Vancouver police
Vancouver Police say the Israel-Hamas war has fuelled hate crimes in the city and sparked far more protests than usual, with policing for the events costing millions. Police say they investigated 265 reports of hate crimes in 2023, a 31-per-cent jump from the previous year, including those related to South Asian, LGBTQ+ and Jewish communities. 

Hate crimes, protests, police costs surge since Middle East war: Vancouver police

Attempted murder charge in Surrey shooting

Attempted murder charge in Surrey shooting
More charges have been laid in a shooting in Surrey last April where a Calgary man was initially charged with attempted murder. RCMP say they began working with police in Calgary shortly after a man was shot and injured in a home in the Newton neighbourhood. 

Attempted murder charge in Surrey shooting

BC Ferries picks Netherlands-based company to build four more hybrid-electric ships

BC Ferries picks Netherlands-based company to build four more hybrid-electric ships
BC Ferries has awarded a contract to build four new hybrid-electric vessels to be ready to sail by 2027. The ferry corporation says in a statement that the contract has gone to Netherlands-based Damen Shipyards Group, the same company that built its last six ferries in the same Island Class of double-ended hybrid ships.  

BC Ferries picks Netherlands-based company to build four more hybrid-electric ships