Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

268 arrested and over 100K in stolen merchandise recovered in shoplifting crackdown

268 arrested and over 100K in stolen merchandise recovered in shoplifting crackdown
Vancouver police say 268 people were arrested and over 100-thousand dollars in stolen merchandise was recovered in a recent shoplifting crackdown dubbed “Project Barcode.” Police say officers also seized 31 weapons at about 30 retailers between November 30th and December 15th. 

268 arrested and over 100K in stolen merchandise recovered in shoplifting crackdown

Pedestrian badly injured in Langley collision

Pedestrian badly injured in Langley collision
Langley Mounties are hoping someone can help identify a pedestrian badly injured in a collision on Monday. Police say a woman was walking at dusk on 268th Street at 26-A Avenue when she was hit by a pickup truck.  

Pedestrian badly injured in Langley collision

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital
British Columbia's provincial government is going ahead with the construction of a $638-million "state-of-the-art" research centre at the new St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver. Premier David Eby said at a news conference after touring the construction site at the new hospital on Thursday that the province has approved the business plan and funding for the new research facility.

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

Guilty plea from Vancouver hit and run suspect

Guilty plea from Vancouver hit and run suspect
A man charged in a fatal hit and run in Vancouver last year has pleaded guilty to criminal negligence causing death. Eoghan Byrne was killed on July 19th, 2022 in the Kitsilano neighbourhood in a collision that was captured on surveillance video.  

Guilty plea from Vancouver hit and run suspect

Hundreds of foreign-trained doctors boosting B.C. family medicine: Dix

Hundreds of foreign-trained doctors boosting B.C. family medicine: Dix
British Columbia Health Minister Adrian Dix says almost all of the 666 international medical graduates registered in the province this year are now working as doctors, with more than half in family medicine. Dix's comments come amid ongoing health-care woes including hospital overcrowding and many residents being left without a family doctor.

Hundreds of foreign-trained doctors boosting B.C. family medicine: Dix

Woman, 72, uses shovel to chase naked intruder from her Vancouver home, police say

Woman, 72, uses shovel to chase naked intruder from her Vancouver home, police say
Police say a 72-year-old woman used a shovel to chase a combative and naked man from her Vancouver home on Tuesday night. Vancouver police say in a statement the man entered the home by smashing a window with a pointed metal rod.

Woman, 72, uses shovel to chase naked intruder from her Vancouver home, police say