Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store
Mounties in Creston says a 73-year-old man faces multiple charges, including impaired driving, after a vehicle crashed through a dollar store on Monday morning. Police say damage to the store was significant after the vehicle drove through the front window of the Your Dollar Store with More. 

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store

Over 50 arrests in Kelowna retail theft

Over 50 arrests in Kelowna retail theft
Kelowna Mounties say an operation targeting shoplifters over a seven-day period this month resulted in more than 50 arrests. Police say the operation was in response to concerns from Kelowna's retail sector about theft and violence at stores.

Over 50 arrests in Kelowna retail theft

Ties with India appear to have undergone 'a tonal shift': Canada's Trudeau

Ties with India appear to have undergone 'a tonal shift': Canada's Trudeau
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that Ottawa's relations with New Delhi appear to have undergone "a tonal shift", following US indictment of an Indian national in a plot to kill a Sikh separatist on American soil. The US indictment appears to have convinced the Narendra Modi government to adopt a more sober tone, Trudeau told CBC news channel in a year-end interview.  

Ties with India appear to have undergone 'a tonal shift': Canada's Trudeau

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead
The prosecution service guideline says in order for charges to be approved, there must be a "substantial likelihood of conviction" based on the strength of the evidence as well as the public interest being served in a prosecution. The crash of the bus operated by Alberta-based Ebus happened on Highway 97C, the Okanagan Connector, east of Merritt, when the bus went off the road and flipped on its side

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta
The City of Delta has launched a one-year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across the city. Pads and tampons are now available at washrooms of the city’s public facilities and they will be replenished in the same way toilet paper and paper towel are in washrooms. 

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report
A new report from the Yellowhead Institute says Canada won't complete all 94 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's calls to action until 2081. The institute found that no calls to action were completed over the course of 2023. 

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report