Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Bright Nights extended til Jan

Vancouver Bright Nights extended til Jan
The Vancouver Park Board has two Christmas surprises for everyone who missed out on snagging the tickets for the Stanley Park Christmas Train. The Park Board says it’s releasing another 17-thousand tickets for the Bright Nights event and it’s also extending the run until January 6th due to high demand.

Vancouver Bright Nights extended til Jan

Online harms bill: Don't link boy's suicide with government actions, Trudeau says

Online harms bill: Don't link boy's suicide with government actions, Trudeau says
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh referred to the death of the 12-year-old in Prince George, B.C., during question period today as he asked Trudeau when the Liberal government will table long-promised legislation designed to mitigate online harms. 

Online harms bill: Don't link boy's suicide with government actions, Trudeau says

Lawyer for pharma company argues against single trial in B.C. opioid damages case

Lawyer for pharma company argues against single trial in B.C. opioid damages case
A lawyer for a pharmaceutical firm says holding a single trial in British Columbia to determine damages for each province and territory related to opioid health-care costs would be a "monster of complexity." Gordon McKee, a lawyer for Janssen Inc. and Johnson & Johnson, told the B.C. Supreme Court that certifying Canadian governments as a class in their pursuit of damages against opioid makers isn't manageable or preferable compared with separate trials.   

Lawyer for pharma company argues against single trial in B.C. opioid damages case

BC needs to be winter ready

BC needs to be winter ready
The summit never happened and now Linda Annis and Daniel Fontaine want to know whether the province and Metro Vancouver have any solutions. They say if a summit had been held, a regional plan might be in place this year to avoid future problems. 

BC needs to be winter ready

Auditor general raises concerns about B.C.’s bookkeeping for 16th time

Auditor general raises concerns about B.C.’s bookkeeping for 16th time
Michael Pickup says if B.C's financial statements followed Canadian public sector accounting standards there would be about another $7 billion in the revenue column, and liabilities would have dropped by the same amount. This is the 16th time Pickup's office has "qualified" its audit report, meaning it couldn't say the financial statements were fairly presented.

Auditor general raises concerns about B.C.’s bookkeeping for 16th time

Charges laid in shooting deaths of two Edmonton officers while on duty: police

Charges laid in shooting deaths of two Edmonton officers while on duty: police
Charges have been laid in the deaths of two Edmonton police officers who were shot while responding to a call in March. Const. Brett Ryan and Const. Travis Jordan took a call about a family dispute at an apartment building when they were gunned down by a 16-year-old boy. 

Charges laid in shooting deaths of two Edmonton officers while on duty: police