Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall
Members of the public attending council meetings and other public events at Vancouver City Hall will now go through an enhanced security screening process. The city says in a statement that the change is responding to the evolving security environment and following in the footsteps of other Canadian cities that have adopted similar security measures.

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall

South Surrey shooting, 1 injured

South Surrey shooting, 1 injured
One person was injured in a shooting in South Surrey this morning. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to multiple reports of shots fired in a residential neighbourhood, and at first they couldn't find the victim.   

South Surrey shooting, 1 injured

Fatal hit and run in Surrey

Fatal hit and run in Surrey
Police in Surrey are investigating a fatal crash where one of the drivers fled the scene. Mounties say a white Ford Mustang was travelling southbound when it collided with a black Toyota Corolla at an intersection causing significant damage to both vehicles.

Fatal hit and run in Surrey

Weekend crash south of Whistler, B.C., kills two adults, one child Squamish

Weekend crash south of Whistler, B.C., kills two adults, one child Squamish
Two adults and a child are dead and a fourth person was injured in a single vehicle crash on the Sea to Sky Highway south of Whistler. Insp. Robert Dykstra, the officer in charge of the Squamish-based Sea to Sky RCMP, says a northbound vehicle veered off the road and hit a tree early Sunday.  

Weekend crash south of Whistler, B.C., kills two adults, one child Squamish

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions
More humanitarian aid is expected to flow into Gaza over the next two days after Israel and Hamas extended a four-day ceasefire that was set to expire last night. The original truce allowed hundreds of trucks to deliver desperately needed food, water and medical supplies to hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who have endured weeks of Israeli siege and bombardment.

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas
The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas